Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good 35mm slide scanner please?  (Read 10041 times)

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone recommend a good 35mm slide scanner please?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 May 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
Not a  cheap option (£164!) but we have this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Canoscan-9000F-All--Scanner/dp/B00BQ9Z00E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432846333&sr=1-1&keywords=canoscan+9000f+mark+ii

It's a flatbed scanner so will do documents in pdf format as well as prints slides and negatives.  Really easy to use and has software to restore damaged images and to correct colour.
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire

Offline David Gough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 October 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
hi

there are some awesome scanners out there. dedicated for the sole purpose. ebay will yeild some nice nikon scanners. thy are pricy though. daft as it may sound aldi do a maginon stand alone scanner. bought one 2 weeks ago. have to say for less than £20 its a stunner. so easy to use and good results.

Offline mshergold

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 October 15 08:09 BST (UK) »
having read all the replies here....

i have tried the digital camera against the wall... uuummm thats a crappy method....

i have owned Canon scanners which have both the negative and slide capacity and will also work with pieces of 16 mm or super 8 film  ......

i have owned the product supplied by Aldi and a similiar one made by Kodak....

the latter two are the best options ....     however.....  try to use an extension drive instead of mainframe or C drive and save files as jpegs.......    also leave the resolution sett on about 400 dpi or you will have over sized images of incredible file size of bytes.

get a photographers hairbrush or new ladies compact makeup brush or air line set up before you scan images.....  and make sure you have emultion side down in the scanner or up in Canon scanners.     label the pictures with same wording you wrote on slide so you can find again if need to do rescan........

also try putting slides into moviemaker and stretching for a few seconds , then you can overlay your home made narratives or music with...........    i have some examples of slides made into movies on my facebook page ....  and funnily enough they paid off for me tother day as someone wanted to see some examples of editing.....

as well one can edit pictures in Paint or photoshop as well as do cropping but save the file as TIFF or jpeg....... not bitmap.
good luck

Offline David Gough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 00:00 GMT (UK) »
hi

i bought a maginon scanner from aldi £20  does the job really well

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I picked up an Epsom 4990 on the Bay, its capable of scanning 35mm, medium and large formats up to 10x8 inches black/white, colour negatives and colour positives.  Its also a flatbed scanner capable of scanning documents etc up to A4.   

I bought this some years ago for £60 I'm sure they have come down in price now.  it comes complete with film holders and good software.  If you have stacks of negs to scan its ideal.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.