Author Topic: Where am I No 7?  (Read 12391 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where am I No 7?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 11 April 15 11:49 BST (UK) »
It makes interesting viewing anyway and I could weep at some of the beautiful properties that are now lost forever  :-\

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/buildings/album/415693/@/page:3:18

Thank you for that link Carol (I've added it to my favourites). I am the same - I find myself tearing up when I look at these houses which are now lost forever. So so sad.  :'(

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 11 April 15 12:15 BST (UK) »
I am now cross-eyed from searching...I really feel it must have been demolished :'(

I find it so sad that so much beautiful heritage has been lost but I'll keep looking...who knows ;)

There's what looks like the edges of a conservatory at the far end of the building, perhaps

that may help :-\

Joy

Edit - I can't see it now I must have been seeing things :-[
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 11 April 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
Found a demolished house on Carol's link which has links to my OH's family, the husband of one of his great aunts having been born there.  :'(

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 11 April 15 18:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry I haven't been around people, been so busy the last couple of days and haven't been near the computer much!

Anyway, I've scanned some more of this photo which may or may not help.  The one thing that strikes me is the number of chimneys, particularly behind the turret.  Why would there be so many? 

Just to recap, I don't think this photo is in anyway connected to the ones of the Clifton Browns which are all taken by the same type of camera, developed on the same thin paper and are sepia.  This one was taken by a much later camera, it's black and white, has a white border and is on much thicker paper.

My instincts tell me it's the south of England as it is physically identical to the photo of WAI No 6, located in Berkshire.  It reminds me of Leeds Castle, but it's not, it just has that look.

Anyway, maybe these close ups will help.  I think the COA looks like a turtle!!  :-\

Thanks everyone for your interest!  :) :)

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 11 April 15 18:22 BST (UK) »
Here's a close up of the righthand side which I think is quite distinctive with the turret and chimneys.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 11 April 15 18:25 BST (UK) »
And another view.

Caz

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 11 April 15 18:32 BST (UK) »

Did you notice that the window, second from the left on the top floor of your photo Caz, appears to be in front of a blank space - maybe the roof has been demolished at some time??

I hadn't noticed.  If you're right, this could mean that by now the whole place may have been demolished or is a ruin.  With luck maybe there is some of it left that can be identified.  Surely there must be a record of a place as grand as this place is/was somewhere.

What would you call it though?  Not really a castle is it?  Manor house/stately home? Does have a school look to it.  Why would there be so many chimneys in a row though?  Has me baffled…must have been one huge fireplace!!  ;D ;D ;D

Caz

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 11 April 15 18:51 BST (UK) »
It appears once again Wiggy's very keen power of observation is correct and the window second from the left doesn't  have a roof attached!   This could mean that the left side was just a facade, although there does appear to be the point of an opposing wall just showing.  The rest of the building looks to be intact though, I just hope that some of it was preserved.

Well spotted Wiggy!  8) 8)

Caz

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 11 April 15 18:53 BST (UK) »
I think the chimney thing was that every room had to have its own fireplace. Larger rooms might have two or more, but a bank of lots of chimneys could mean a floor with lots of small rooms.
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull