Author Topic: Where am I No 7?  (Read 12391 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where am I No 7?
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 18 April 15 04:37 BST (UK) »
The Turtle looks more like a cavalier/roundhead to me.

I've looked at so many images I'm bug-eyed. Now I've started looking only at what we've been calling the coat of arms. Cazza enlarged it in Reply#30.

To me it looks like an Archer - the man's head is facing left and square. The bow is held in front of him.

I've been wondering if it's connected more with the architect, designer or builder of the house rather than the people that lived there.

Just a thought  :)

Thanks Sami for your input.  I couldn't really make head nor tails out of the COA and turtle was my best guess  :P, but you may well be right.

Hope you had fun though going bug eyed!  ;D ;D

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 18 April 15 04:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys,

Bit more "sleuthing" with this one.

As Groom said, there were a fair few similar houses/mansions in this style, and I'd seen them too.

Noted the architect, George Devey, found a website with many of his buildings listed.
Went through them one by one and finally found just one pic that looked like no. 7.

Phew!!

Yorkslass

Like I said, pure genius!  ;)
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 18 April 15 04:45 BST (UK) »
Awesome! Yorkslass rocks ;D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8701617@N07/7281852168/

Oh what a shame, half of it's missing as Mosiefish mentioned and China has confirmed with this photo.   :(  Just makes makes the identification of this one even more amazing.  Could be worse I suppose, at least most of it is still standing which is a blessing.

Caz

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 18 April 15 04:56 BST (UK) »
Rather than bore everyone, and I wouldn't normally do this as I think everyone deserves individual recognition and thanks, but as this thread is 10 pages long, I just wanted to say how grateful I am to everyone that has taken part in WAI 7, and my thanks to you all including of course Yorkslass; Jools; Groom; Pat;  China; John; Hampshire Lass; dgibbons; Wiggy; Sami; Joy; Mo; Ruskie and Carol.  :-* :-* :-*

Caz

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 18 April 15 07:11 BST (UK) »
Rather than bore everyone, and I wouldn't normally do this as I think everyone deserves individual recognition and thanks, but as this thread is 10 pages long, I just wanted to say how grateful I am to everyone that has taken part in WAI 7, and my thanks to you all including of course Yorkslass; Jools; Groom; Pat;  China; John; Hampshire Lass; dgibbons; Wiggy; Sami; Joy; Mo; Ruskie and Carol.  :-* :-* :-*

Caz
And this is why my family tree at times is a nightmare  ;D  even with it written in blood and stone my last name is still spelt wrong as it has been through RECORDED history. (shrug)

That's ok Caz...don't stress, its actually ok.  :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 18 April 15 07:20 BST (UK) »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

So sorry!  Trust me, I HATE having my name spelt incorrectly and I have one of those surnames as well, not to mention a christian name that everyone loves to mispronounce and spell so I'm embarrassed that I have made this error!   ::)

Many thanks and my apologies to dgibbins!  ;)

Caz