Author Topic: John McPherson DCM Lovat Scouts, his wife Jessie McKay, son Donald  (Read 2078 times)

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McPherson DCM Lovat Scouts, his wife Jessie McKay, son Donald
« on: Sunday 05 April 15 01:01 BST (UK) »
John McPherson went to south Africa with the Lovat Scouts during the Boer War. He was awarded the DCM in March 1901. He also was in the Imperial Yeomanry. His brother Alexander was in the South African Constabulary and is buried in the Municipal Cemetery at Heidleberg, having died in the Hospital there. John appears to have stayed in South Africa married a nurse called Jessie McKay and they had a son Donald who was about 18 months old when his father died in Dingwall Scotland having returned to enlist in the Seaforth Highlanders in WW1. He gave his occupation then as a miner. He died on the 30th March, 1915 of TB. Place of death on his death certificate is given as Ormadale Place, Dingwall (Ormidale I think). He was buried with his parents and some of his brothers and sisters at Croick Churchyard near Ardgay. I note that there is a commemoration for him on the South African War Graves website. Nothing is known of what happened to Jessie and Donald apart from the mention on the War Graves for this country that she was a Nurse Jessie MacKay from Johannesburg. Her name and Donald's is on the War Pension papers for John. It is believed she returned to South Africa with Donald. But I can find no one of their names on any passenger list. I can find no marriage certificate for John and Jessie nor a birth certificate or death certificate for Donald in Scotland. There is a Jessie MacKay sailed from London in 1926 on the SS Borda for the Cape and her occupation is a maternity nurse. Is she Jessie. In 2001 I was at Croick churchyard and the portion on the McPherson headstone relating to John had been freshly painted in black. Who did this was some of his descendents through Donald visiting his resting place. Can anyone help with at least a bit of my jigsaw puzzle. Thanking you in anticipation. A remembrance service was held on the 30th March this year At Croick to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his death. It was very moving. Gone but not forgotten.

Also posted here -
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=717424.msg5611846#msg5611846

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John McPherson DCM Lovat Scouts, his wife Jessie McKay, son Donald
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 April 15 04:06 BST (UK) »
Could this be Donald's wife?
DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 11058/68                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          MCPHERSON, ELIZABETH.                                                 
STARTING  19680000                                                             
ENDING    19680000                                                             
REMARKS   PREDECEASED SPOUSE DONALD MCPHERSON.                                 
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John McPherson DCM Lovat Scouts, his wife Jessie McKay, son Donald
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 April 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
I honestly have no idea. If I could find out about Jessie McKay Donalds mother it would be a start to trace him. She may of course have married again when she returned home to South Africa. Is there any other details re who that Donald's McPherson parents were? Thanks
just a thought I wonder if Jessie's given name was Janet