Author Topic: Old Elm Cottage, Churchdown  (Read 25349 times)

Offline polomint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Elm Cottage, Churchdown
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 February 18 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann, I was trying to help John with this last year because I live in Churchdown almost next door to an Elm Cottage in Church Road. I couldn’t find any reason why his mother would have had a baby there so I couldn’t go any further. The book I have doesn’t have any details about Elm Cottage. Is it possible for you to send me the photo that you have and any other information? Id be so grateful.
Thanks
Liz
Wing,North Moreton
Widdows Churchill Oxon
De Serionne Leicestershire

Offline Anna99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 February 18 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Liz - I live in Churchdown too and will happily share the photo with you.  It's from a book in a series called 'The Archive Series', and obviously this one is 'Churchdown', by Peter Copeland and Gwen and Brian Waters, pub. The Chalford Publishing Co. 1995. I have taken a photo of the photo but not sure how to post it on here; it may be of interest to the original enquirer. 

Offline Anna99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 February 18 14:06 GMT (UK) »
....I have just looked the book up on Amazon and it is listed for £160 so I don't imagine people will be rushing out to buy it!  Worthwhile looking out for in charity shops perhaps.  I also own a copy of 'A Village History - Churchdown 1904-1954' by Hermione Oram - this was my grandmother's, who was in service in the village before WW1, and married a Daniels whose grandparents lived in the Old School House on The Green.  If anyone would like any information from either of these books, please let me know and I'll look it up, as they seem to be quite a scarce resource.

Offline polomint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 February 18 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I have The Story of Churchdown by Gwen Waters but not the other two.
Wing,North Moreton
Widdows Churchill Oxon

Offline polomint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 February 18 15:28 GMT (UK) »
We often walk up to the Green and look at the Old School House, I’ve taken a couple of photos of it too. There are some lovely places up there.
Wing,North Moreton
Widdows Churchill Oxon

Offline KLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 February 21 14:59 GMT (UK) »
....I have just looked the book up on Amazon and it is listed for £160 so I don't imagine people will be rushing out to buy it!  Worthwhile looking out for in charity shops perhaps.  I also own a copy of 'A Village History - Churchdown 1904-1954' by Hermione Oram - this was my grandmother's, who was in service in the village before WW1, and married a Daniels whose grandparents lived in the Old School House on The Green.  If anyone would like any information from either of these books, please let me know and I'll look it up, as they seem to be quite a scarce resource.
  Hi Anna which one of the Daniels family did your grandmother marry?  I am related to the family.  Are there any relevant photos in Hermione's book?  I have ordered the other book from Amazon for £7.  We are probably cousins...
Kind regards
Katrina

Offline KLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 February 21 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi does anyone have any photos of the Old School House on the green at Churchdown or of the Daniels family who lived there please?
I have just found out my family hails from the village and used to live in the house.  Due to lockdown I am unable to travel there at the moment. I would be very grateful for any information.
Katrina

Offline polomint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 February 21 16:06 GMT (UK) »
I thought I’d posted a reply to you Karen but I can’t see it. Any way I’ve a few photos of The Old School House which I’ll try to attach.
Wing,North Moreton
Widdows Churchill Oxon

Offline Anna99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 February 21 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Katrina - lovely to see your reply!  My grandfather was William Daniels ..... which may not help as it seems every other Daniels was a William!  His mother was Elizabeth Booth and his father was also William Daniels - they lived in Cheltenham and had twelve children altogether.  The house was too tiny for them all so some were sent to live with their grandparents (William and Elizabeth née Price) and aunts/uncles at The Old School House, where they ran a tea garden.  I have just remembered that I haven’t picked up my copy of the book that I lent out to PoloMint (I think!).  We’ll have to meet up again in better times!  I know there is a photo of some Daniels children on the gate outside the Old School House.  I seem to remember that our local history society has a good photo too of older Daniels outside the house.  None of the people are named though.  What ancestor of yours lived there Katrina - I’d be interested to see the connection 😊?