Author Topic: Old Elm Cottage, Churchdown  (Read 25350 times)

Offline polomint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Elm Cottage, Churchdown
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 15:57 GMT (UK) »
We live in Church View, Churchdown which is a recent building, our neighbour lives in Elm Cottage which is 17th or 18thC. The Old Elm Inn is just round the corner from us and I'm sure there are photos of it as it was originally. If the original poster is still interested I can try to find them and also take a photo of the cottage.
Wing,North Moreton
Widdows Churchill Oxon
De Serionne Leicestershire

Offline polomint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 17:30 GMT (UK) »
It was the Old Elm originally then became the Bat and Ball in the 30s I believe, a year ago it was sold and has reverted to the name of The Old Elm. Elm Cottage was next to, and may even have been part of, the Blacksmith's forge on the corner of Blacksmiths Lane. That building is Forge Cottage. I'll have word with the chap who lives there and find out as much as I can about its history.
Wing,North Moreton
Widdows Churchill Oxon

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just to add - the pub is on Facebook and they have a pretty old photo on the site.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jc9/

Regards
Giggsy

Offline polomint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 18:19 GMT (UK) »
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/157688
Don't know if this will work but it was taken in the 40s, the old pub is in front and the Bat and Ball has been built behind it before the old one was demolished
Wing,North Moreton
Widdows Churchill Oxon

Offline Minsterworth Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, polomint and giggsycat, for your most welcome posts. The photos on the Facebook link are of great interest as is the featured shot on geography.org.
I have just about given up on learning anything specific about the exact location of Old Elm Cottage and its use at the time of my father's birth. It seems logical that it was attached to the Inn but Census and other records of that period indicate several "Elm Cottages" in Churchdown and its surrounds. The local Historical Society has not been able to assist.
I am intrigued as to the reason that my grandmother was staying at that particular cottage at the time of my Dad's birth. Although married, she was pretty well a "single mother", as her Australian soldier husband had departed by this time. I would love to know more about the cottage itself.
Perhaps the current resident of Forge Cottage may throw some light on Old Elm Cottage circa 1920. I am very grateful for your interest and your efforts in assisting me.
Best wishes ... John
Amphlett, Dancer, Lamb.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Lloyd George Land Survey 1909

http://www.glos1909survey.org.uk/code/search.php

or just Google:

Hereditaments in Churchdown Lloyd George Survey of Land Values

- this will take you directly to Churchdown - 422 listed...

If you use the search by address and just scroll down to Churchdown, up come all the properties with map reference etc.  The maps are excellent and very useful on the website.

Few Elm's listed  (inc 2 Elm Villas - map reference 26.9G which is near Pireton Lane - Almhouses etc)

e.g.

GA/D2428/1/12 - Hereditament Number 450
Place: Churchdown
Income tax parish: Barnwood
Occupied by: DUFFY, Thomas (M)
Owned by: Flower and sons, Messrs, High Street, Cheltenham
Type of property: business

house garden and buildings
address: Old Elm Inn
size: 1 acre 1 rood 36 perches
Map reference: : 26.13B  (which means Map No. 26 - then click on 13 and up comes an ordanance survey map (sometimes just click once or twice else the screen goes black, but comes up eventually)
Gross Value : £1086
Site Value: 300
Tithe : £11
Buildings: £786
Taxable Value: £289
Poor Rate:
Number 136 - Size: 1 acre 12 roods, Gross Value: £48 and Rateable Value: £41

(if you know who was living 'anywhere' in 1909 - you can search by name)

e.g.

GA'D2428/1/12 - Hereditament Number 485

Churchdown, Barnwood
Occupied by, Collins, Joseph (M)
Owned by Flower & Sons, Stratford

The Elms, Churchdown, cottage and garden

Map Ref: 26.9S

etc etc

The Map section is in the heading on the front page (click on Maps)  - you can scroll across and up the enhanced map section

Local knowledge in previous reply would help.

Offline Minsterworth Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 January 17 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Capetown, for this link and your explanatory information.

As you say, there are quite a few variations on "Elm", but, with this and the local knowledge offered by 'polomint' perhaps there may be a way of identifying the exact site of the very  Old Elm Cottage in which my Dad was born.

I have tried, without success so far, to seek the name of the doctor, or midwife, who may have been present at the birth but both Dad's birth certificate and his birth notice in the local press are mute on this (understandably). About a year ago I narrowed a possible list from the 1911 Census, acknowledging that much change took place between 1911 and 1920, but my research in this tenuous direction ran dry. The part address, Old Elm Cottage, is not associated with a specific street or resident in any record that I have seen.

Thank you, and others, who have breathed new life into my quest. All the best ... John
Amphlett, Dancer, Lamb.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 January 17 09:26 GMT (UK) »
When I was growing up can remember having a Street Directory at home.  According to Gloucestershire Archives -

These usually only cover larger towns and cities, i.e. Gloucester, Cheltenham and Stroud.  They list the head of the household of each house or business in each street.  The streets are sorted alphabetically.  There may also be a section at the end where individuals are listed alphabetically.  As the houses are listed in the same order as they are on the street, you may find that odd numbers are listed first, followed by even numbers.

How to Find the Records

A select range of trade and street directories for Gloucester, Cheltenham, Stroud and Gloucestershire are available in the searchroom.  They cover the years 1841-1974. 

More directories are available but these need to be ordered from the strongrooms.  etc

Some directories are available to view on self-service microfiche in the search room.  It is also possible to view some directories for free at www.historicaldirectories.org.

If you are looking for a specific year, please ask a member of staff if we have it or contact us at
archives@gloucestershire.gov.uk

----

Also there are Electorial Rolls records

England & Wales Electoral Roll 1832-1932 are on FindMyPast

Offline Anna99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 February 18 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello John.  Apart from being on this site once two years ago, I'm more or less a newbie on here and have just seen your query - is this still on ongoing one?  If so, I have a little more information for you.  The Old Elm Cottage was in Church Road and was by the Old Elm Inn, now pulled down.  I have a book which has a photo of it - it seems to have stood at right angles to the pub and the road; if you visit the area or look on Street View, it looks to have been approximately where the Chinese restaurant etc is now.  Under the photo it says 'The Old Elm Cottage, Church Road, occupied at one time by the Vye family, who rented a room to Dr Prance of Cheltenham, for use as a surgery, the village then having no resident doctor.  On the right and behind are other cottages which were later replaced by shops.  The Old Elm Inn is extreme right'.  I hope this is useful information.