Author Topic: The Bell's from Troon  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Scott Saunders

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • straight talking, no sh*t taking social media fan, tweets about Chelsea, Techy stuff and anything else really
    • View Profile
The Bell's from Troon
« on: Sunday 05 April 15 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am trying to find all I can about the Scottish side of my family whom I currently know very little about and have no living relatives who could help me.

Would some users of the site be able to point me in there right direction please? I don't live in Scotland so can't get up to explorer the town myself.

What I do know if that my grandfather was Andrew Bell who died on 1950 after literally dropping down dead on the Troon Golf Course whilst playing good with two doctors who were unable to save him.  He lived with his daughter (Susan Saunders) on 17 Harbour Road. 

His wife (Susan Gibbons) had died before 1950 and so have some of his other children,

I have records for these searches etc but I would really like to know if there is another way that I can search for their via the internet ? perhaps School records, job details or anything to do with any potential Scottish military involvement.

The ultimate goal would be to speak to someone who was actually connected to them who is still in the land of the living ?

Really hope that someone could offer me some help.

Many Thanks

Scott

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Bell's from Troon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 19:14 BST (UK) »
With what you know of your grandparents you should be able to obtain their Birth, Marriage & Death records from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/   It is pay to view but for £7 you get 30 credits, that should be enough to get you started. Once you can get back to the 1911 census it can be reasonably straightforward to get back every 10 years to the 1841.
Your problem might be the name Bell is quite common in Scotland. However I just did a quick check and if they married 1912 the record is there, the death record for Andrew is also there and it looks like Susan also died in 1950. The fact the marriage was in 1912 means that they will both be on the 1911 census.

Hole this helps.

Colin. 
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Artognou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott,

Not sure if this will help you or not, but I would say you should be able to obtain both death records, I have a strong Ayrshire connection and I was able to get death records for one of my 2x great grandparents who both died in the late 1940s.
You will get a very detailed briefing of what he did and more importantly, what the parents did.

I, too, have Bell family from Ayrshire, Kilmarnock, so I know how difficult it can be to get going!

As Colin has said, Scotlandspeople will have all you need, I believe they hold wills of varying types.
There should be other places up north that should hold further records, for example, some of my Ayrshire lot passed through Glasgow from Mull and I was informed that the Mitchell Library has some excellent records, which will more than likely hold vital information about my family's time there.
There should be something similar for Ayrshire too, which I believe is Ayrshirearchives (dot) org, they hold a range of official and private records including businesses and estates among them.
Searching for - McIntyres of Mull & Maybole, Ayrshire and McQuarries of Ulva/Mull.
Foot family of Cornwall/Devon/Dorset, Sargents and Kerslakes of Cornwall/Devon.
McDonalds of Aberdeen/Banff/Sutherland
Aird and Muirfamilies of Ayrshire, Bell families of Ayrshire
Macey, Giles and Lishmund families of Devon.
Baldwins of Hertfordshire.
Dimmock family of Bucks.
Snow family of London.
Dallimore/Dillimores of Wiltshire.
Hunts-Norfolk.
Simmons of Cornwall and Ward/Hewetts of London

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
Scott, welcome to RootsChat  :)

This story rings a bell in my mind...of someone dying on the golf course etc...will go off to try and find the details. Post some time ago.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 17:25 BST (UK) »
Here it is www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=280312.0 from 2008.

Hopefully fresh eyes will bring in new info...  ;)

There are also a number of extensive threads on other forums over the last number of years. Doesn't look like any other family researchers connected to the lines have found your posts so far, Scott  :-\

I am always hopeful...so should you be  ;D

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk