Author Topic: Hugh Wells and Penelope Kissock Bryan  (Read 2999 times)

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Wells and Penelope Kissock Bryan
« on: Sunday 05 April 15 15:23 BST (UK) »
According to the 1911 census they had 9 children and 8 were still living.

I can only find 8 births - and one death -  Henry in 1886

Children of HUGH WELLS and PENELOPE BRYAN are:

i.   MAGGIE3 WELLS, b. 1884, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland.

ii.   HENRY WELLS, b. 09 May 1886, Dalbeattie, Kirkcudbrightshire,; d. 18 Dec 1886, Meikle, Kirkland, Kirkcudbrightshire.

iii.   WILLIAM BRYAN WELLS, b. 09 May 1886, Dalbeattie, Kirkcudbrightshire,; d. 06 Feb 1972, Canada.

iv.   PENELOPE WELLS, b. 1889, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland.

v.   JANE WELLS, b. 1892, Rerrick.

vi.   MARY WELLS, b. 1896, Urr.

vii.   HUGH WELLS, b. 01 May 1899, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland.

viii.   JANET MCQUEEN WELLS, b. 18 Apr 1902, Hightae Cottages, Parish of Kelton, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland.

I have purchased loads of credits in Scotlands People but cannot find this extra child.   Is there any way of putting in the family surname and then putting in the parents names - like you can on Ancestry.   

Is it possible they census taker wrote down the wrong number of children?

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Wells and Penelope Kissock Bryan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 April 15 20:15 BST (UK) »
While this does not answer your query,it does appear to be the death of their youngest child.

Death Notices
Wells
05 October 1926 : Janet McQueen Wells : At Corseglass Schoolhouse, Dalry, (suddenly), aged 24 years, youngest daughter of Mr & Mrs H Wells.

This was on www.kirkyards.co.uk

Rgds Matt
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 April 15 07:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Matt

This will add to my information and I will continue to look for the elusive child

Michele

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 16:08 BST (UK) »
To all the people who have tried to help me find my ancestors -  I have been looking for amongt others -  Hewitsons/ and Brian (Bryan) family.

I am missing lots of sibling Bryans and could not understand why I could no find their marriages - deaths/burials.   I figured they must all be together and even using surname variants and wild cards in Scotlands People could not find them.

Two days ago whilst messing about with surnames I came across Alexander Bryant -   I opened his death cert on Scotlands People and saw the name of the informant was given as Muir (son in law) I then looked for his marriage and found a marriage to Agnes Bryant - the parents were shown as Alexander Bryant and wife (MARGARET HAMILTON GRAY)  these are the same couple who marriage cert is Alexander Bryan and MHG  - I have the Bryan/Brian's way back and they are either Brian or Bryan on each census and certs I purchased - so somewhere along the line either through the name being misheard Alexander and his daughter Agnes became Bryant - or their name was changed.     On the site Gatehouse Folk there is a picture of the Gatehouse Grasshoppers 1908 and amongst the names is William Bryan (number 11)   he is Alexander's brother.  The photo is 1908 and Alexander died 1891 - so not sure why the change of name  - I can understand it being accidental once (death) but Agnes marriage !!!

Anybody any ideas?

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 21:07 BST (UK) »

Could this be the the Informant Muir married to Agnes Bryant ??
Inscription 109 : Auchencairn Cemetery
In memory of Matthew M Muir, beloved husband of Agnes Bryant, died at South Lodge, Auchencairn, 29th Jan. 1936, aged 75. Also the above Agnes Bryant, who died at Gatehouse, 2nd Dec'r 1943, aged 84.
Taken from www.kirkyards.co.uk

Matt
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
Yes is it is the same couple -   I am now looking for Norman Granville Muir - he is the informant on Agnes death certificate.    I just have to ask myself do I start looking for all the other siblings under the name of Bryant.   it is really odd - Alexander dies as Bryant in 1891 -  Margaret in 1896 as Bryant but she is on the 1891 census as Bryan - which is the family name.