Author Topic: Child, Childe, Childs Family  (Read 3606 times)

Offline ChildinUS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Child, Childe, Childs Family
« on: Sunday 05 April 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information or relatives of the Child, Childe, Childs family from Amersham & Coleshill. Specifically a William Child [born bef 1561], Amersham yeoman of Whelpley's, married 2xs 1st? 2nd "Joan?", he was buried 1606-07 had sons John, William, Richard and daug Jane who married Christopher Clarke about 1590.

I believe that this Child family lived in/owned/rented Whelpleys farm, Deans Bottom Farm, Porch House, Stock Place, Luckings Farm in Buckinghamshire.

I am descendant of this line through Henry Child [abt 1632-1740] who immigrated to US [Pennsylvania] in 1600s. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Donna

Offline eburchelli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Child, Childe, Childs Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 22:24 BST (UK) »
I believe I am related to this Child family through Henry Child born about 1650 at Coleshill, Parish of Amersham, Hertfordshire (now Bucks).  He immigrated to Maryland in America and died in Anne Arundel Co. in that state.  He may have had a sister Amy who resided in Philadelphia, PA and married Charles Read.  He had a son Cephas who he bequeathed land in Bucks Co., PA.

Either or both may be ancestors of my Child and Logan families in Pennsylvania.  I do not have family details before Henry's birth, except for the information I've found online.  This information claims that Henry was the son of Richard and Mary Child of Coleshill.  Henry married Ann Ball also of Hertfordshire, daughter of Henry Ball.

Barbara

Offline eburchelli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 April 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
I received an e-mail notice from RootsChat that I had a personal message regarding this post.  However, when I checked on the link supplied with the e-mail, it would not allow me to access the message.  If someone is interested in contacting me about this post, I guess you'll have to reply here.

Barbara

Offline eburchelli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 May 15 05:53 BST (UK) »
The problem has been resolved.  I can now receive private messages.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone researching this Child line from Amersham.

Barbara

Offline Maryand

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 October 16 18:46 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of James Child, who died in Berkeley District, South Carolina on 9 Oct 1718.  He was in South Carolina by 12 Feb 1697/8 when he received a warrant for lands.  According to family tradition, he fled England as he was involved with the "notorious Judge Jeffries" and came to Carolina accompanied only by his son Isaac, leaving behind a large family. 

At http://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A32825.0001.001/1:1?rgn=div1;view=fulltext  there is an account of The Great Grievances and Oppression of James Child late of the Parish of Amersham in the County of Bucks.

In his will he mentions:

Son Isaac, his son William: - this family well documented in South Carolina;

Daughter Sara Child: "all the yearly rent of my house and lands in Old England at Coleshill in the Parish of Augmondi in the County of Hertford which is due from the time and the date of the last amounts made up by my son James Child the 20th day of March 1712 until the day of my decease". (implication being that Sara and James were in England)

Granddaughters: Sara Child and Hana Dixs (Hana under age 21)
Grandson: Robert Dixs, under 21.  Many bequests, including the plantation called Luckins Farm, where "I now dwell".

Hana and Robert Dixs had to be in England also.

Would appreciate any information on James' family in Amersham!

Mary