Author Topic: Lorrha/Ballyquirk - Smith/Darcy  (Read 5448 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lorrha/Ballyquirk - Smith/Darcy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
The Lorrha reference MIGHT be a red herring.

The address given for George MIGHT have been his last residence and not necessarily where he was from.

Just an option is a George Smith in Borrisokane which I've noticed you guys mentioning.

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/tipperary/borrisokane.htm

Might be worth checking the local Tipperary churches.

http://registers.nli.ie/

Tara

Offline astromuzza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 22:18 BST (UK) »
Tara,

I too am starting to think that the Lorrha reference is a red herring! On a document regarding the assisted passage of John Smith to Australia, John was sponsored by a Michael Cahalan who was in Australia at the time, but his passage it seems was, in part at least, paid for by a Mr. Hemsworth of Lorrha. On further investigation, this Mr. Hemsworth was the owner of Abbeville a residence near Lorrha. I'm now thinking that John was a labourer on this property in Lorrha but not necessarily from there.

On the same line of thinking, Mary's voyage to Australia was paid in part by a John Dwyer Esq. who was the owner of the property at Ballyquirk where I believe Mary was a servant.

All very, very interesting!

Now to check a George Smith at Borrisokane...

Cheers,
Mario

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
Fingers Crossed  ;D

Tara

Offline astromuzza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 November 15 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone!

Well I managed to get a transcript of John Smith and Mary Darcy's marriage from 1866 in Braidwood, New South Wales and was surprised to find that John's father's name was John and not George as previously thought. The portion of the transcript concerning John Smith is as follows:

John Smith was born at Abbeville, County Tipperary, Ireland, was aged 23, a Catholic.... His father was John Smith, farmer, and his mother Catherine (Wilkinson).

To me this puts Lorrha back into contention so I went through the Lorrha and Dorrha baptism microfilm on the registers.nli.ie website but the closest I could get is a James Smith who was baptised in September 1843 with a father John Smith and a mother Catherine Walkins .

Is it possible that this James Smith is in fact my great grandfather John Smith, especially considering the father's name is the same and the mother's is very similar (Wilkinson/Walkins)? If not, does Abbeville fall into a different parish and should I be looking there?

Any help/advice will be gratefully accepted!

Cheers,
Mario