Author Topic: who was living at 86 High St Battersea in 1901?  (Read 4774 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
who was living at 86 High St Battersea in 1901?
« on: Monday 06 April 15 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone - I am researching someone who died suddenly away from home in 1897. His place of death is given as 86 High St Battersea. In 1891 this was an unoccupied building. I am having trouble browsing this area of Battersea for 1901 as the enumeration area seems to have changed, with 'West Battersea, district 8' no longer an option. the options are East, Northwest and Southwest and lots of districts.... can anyone help? I can't find it in a trade or post office directory either. cheers, Louise
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: who was living at 86 High St Battersea in 1901?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 April 15 00:32 BST (UK) »
A search of the 1901 census on Ancestry for Pierce L. MERCERON will take you to 86 Battersea High Street.
RG13 piece 450 folio 43 page 23

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 April 15 01:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot, Bookbox! Of course, this building or shop could have changed hands a few times from 1891 - 1901. However in 1901 number 86 was a hairdresser. Mr Merceron does not seem to be a relative, but there is a tie-in with his connection with Bristol and the Rodrigues family. I think he could have been a friend or business associate. Jacob Rodrigues, the unfortunate man, died on the spot from an aneurism of the aorta at the age of 47. His wife, Leah, died 4 days later from cancer so in the space of 5 days, their 5 children were orphaned - a very sad occurrence. thanks a lot for your help!
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 15 01:49 BST (UK) »
I can see that address here to next to a bankrupt man named John Boon, a corn, hay and timber merchant c1891
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/26114/page/7028/data.pdf
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 April 15 01:56 BST (UK) »
thanks Whiteout, that may tie in with the building being unoccupied.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 April 15 10:49 BST (UK) »
Per the 1896 Kelly's London Suburban Directory, number 86 was Jas. Marshall, coffee rooms. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 April 15 22:39 BST (UK) »
thats really interesting, Shaun - those premises seem to have a quick turnover of businesses. For 1901 I am thinking the hairdresser is the best bet at present. Jacob also lived in Bristol, just before he came to London, and the Merceron family were also from Bristol. I am most inclined at present to think Jacob (a cigar maker) was either just getting his hair cut or visiting friends he knew.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 April 15 00:53 BST (UK) »
If you look beneath the big Xes on the census page, you can see that Harriet Merceron was running the coffee shop. In Kelly's 1902 London Southern Suburbs Directory, it's still coffee rooms, with John Dalwood as proprietor.

The sudden death might well have made the local newspaper, especially if there was an inquest. But the big digitisation project is taking a long while to reach London and the South East. You could e-mail Battersea Local Studies with the date and ask for a lookup.

BTW, the 1902 directory places Louise Ellis's "marine store" (euphamism for "junk shop") at No 82, as the census enumerator originally had it.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 April 15 01:08 BST (UK) »
aha! thats great, Chris! re the coffee shop. I have looked in the newspaper - nothing reported from any newspaper in the British Newspaper Archive, the Times etc although I was looking for variations of the surname 'Rodrigues' and neglected the possibility of 'Rogers' so I must look for that.