Author Topic: HAYWARD c1836 Leicester  (Read 4385 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: HAYWARD c1836 Leicester
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 April 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
So if they were baptised in St Martins then they likely lived in the Abbey Park /Belgrave Gate area which is ( now) city centre but built just outside the city walls, so rows of terrace housing to house workers who moved from the villages, then in the 1960s these houses were due for demolition, until Idi Armin kicked out all the Ugandan Asians who came to the city and were housed there, today it is Little India, called the Golden Mile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Mile_%28Leicester%29
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
Are you sure about that, Iluleah? St Martin's seems quite a way from Belgrave on foot; isn't St Matthew's a lot nearer?

The couple of ancestors I have buried in St Martins lived in the "Lanes" area, but that was in the 1st half of the 19 century.

I thought the rows in Belgrave were a bit more recent than that too - my grandfather grew up in Wand St and IIRC the date plaque on his terrace was 1896.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 09:16 BST (UK) »
Good Morning!

Very interesting and a steep learning curve for me!  :o

Do you have any idea what would have taken William (a gardener according to the censuses and various BMD) and Sophia from a relatively well off family by all accounts, from Shrewsbury where the first two children (Henry and Andrew) were born, to Leicester in c1832, only to return sometime between Richard's birth in 1835 and the 1841 census?

It's probably not relevant to Leicestershire, but you never know ...

Henry born c1826 appears with his family in 1841 in Shrewsbury and in 1851 there is a possible sighting in the workhouse, but other than that - nothing - I've never found a baptism, marriage or death.

Andrew born c1831 appears with his family in 1841 in Shrewsbury but absolutely nowhere else.

I've also never found a marriage for William HAYWARD to Sophia BAILEY but was always looking much later and now assume they married c1825 - presumably Dawley but  ::) who knows?

Thanks for your help!

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
Are you sure about that, Iluleah? St Martin's seems quite a way from Belgrave on foot; isn't St Matthew's a lot nearer?

The couple of ancestors I have buried in St Martins lived in the "Lanes" area, but that was in the 1st half of the 19 century.

I thought the rows in Belgrave were a bit more recent than that too - my grandfather grew up in Wand St and IIRC the date plaque on his terrace was 1896.

St Margarets, St Martins, St Georges, St Matthews and another church were all churches that people living around that part of the city used to baptise/marry. My paternal ancestors moved there from Rearsby village, my g grandfather was born there in 1888 he was baptised there, he and his older siblings.

Many houses/shops were boarded up in the 1960s( could have been earlier but I don't know about prior to that), some people were still living there but the area fell into dereliction as my parents would drive via Melton Road/Belgrave on route to the A46 each and every Sunday and off to my maternal grandparents home. The people who lived there were moved from those houses many  across the city to Saffron Lane  and Eyres Monsell Estate which were build post war and to re house people from the 'city slum' housing.

Years before I remember them demolishing the other rail station and heavy goods yard and across the road was the bus station used to be trams before that  (last time I went it was a car park and Asian shops/market hall) I remember the Asians arriving and the development of that part of the city.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend