Author Topic: Christina Scott b abt 1856 Inverness, Argyllsh  (Read 10313 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Christina Scott b abt 1856 Inverness, Argyllsh
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 April 15 21:58 BST (UK) »
Christina's marriage certificate (in London) to Innes Reid Murray lists Mary Cameron as a witness.

It also states a Kenneth Sinclair Murray as a witness which may have been Mary's partner/future hubby at the time so worth checking out the name as it's not run-of-the mill  :-\

Anne Marie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Artsangelssheila

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 May 15 00:37 BST (UK) »
Wow! Such great suggestions. I have looked back at the Grandmother's Margaret Cameron's earlier census reports but can not find a daughter that matches up. I do find a Alexander Scott, shepherd, who was born in Kilmonivaig, Inverness-shire. He lives with his parents both in Kilmonivaig and Glengarry. His Dad is also a shepherd. In Christina Scott's marriage license she lists Alexander Scott as being a farmer...is a shepherd considered a close enough occupation?
Finally, Kenneth Sinclair Murray is the first cousin of Innes Reid Murray. (Christina's husband) I can find no record of him marrying Mary Cameron - the other witness.
Perhaps Christina's parents did not marry...but...there is an older brother Alexander Scott who was also listed in the 1861 census as living with the grandmother. He was born about 1854. Common name and I've not found anything promising on Scotland's People. Yikes. ??? Any other ideas? Sheila

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 May 15 11:03 BST (UK) »
Some shepherds were allowed their own small flock of sheep or a few cows, in addition he would have to cut hay, grow some spuds & maybe oats, so he is a farmer/shepherd. It depends on the size of the estate etc'.

Skoosh.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 May 15 19:07 BST (UK) »
there is an older brother Alexander Scott who was also listed in the 1861 census as living with the grandmother. He was born about 1854.

There is an Alexander Cameron b1854 Kilmallie, Argyll (only 1) so looks promising as date fits census info. & The Christina Cameron b1856, Kilmallie, Argyll fits census info. i.e. both worth a look.

I wonder if Christina's grandfather was Alexander  ??? Was Margaret Cameron a widow in 1861 & where did it state she was born ???

Doing a process of elimination  ;D

Anne Marie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Artsangelssheila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 May 15 03:04 BST (UK) »
Skoosh and Anne Marie, thank you for all your input. I've gone back thru the earlier census. I think that perhaps the mother of Christina and Alexander was from a previous marriage of Alexander Cameron and not with Margaret Cameron. I noticed that there is a 20 year difference in their ages.  I did find a marriage record on SP for Feb 1838  between an Alexander Cameron and a Margaret Cameron (no maiden name listed) Their first children were twin boys, Ewan and Angus born in 1839. In the 1841 census it shows a 16 year old son, Alexander Cameron...and then the 2 year old twin boys.

Both Alexander Cameron (b Abt 1781) and Margaret Cameron (b Abt 1801) were born in Kilmallie, Argyll.   On another interesting note, and perhaps a mistake, I noticed that Alexander Scott, listed as a grandchild in the Cameron 1861 census, is listed as a girl. Could a little girl have been named Alexander?  My next plan of attack is to look to see if I can find a record of a Christina Cameron who might have been the first wife of Alexander Cameron. 

Any other ideas would be welcome :D Sheila

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 May 15 14:09 BST (UK) »
Christina's marriage in 1887 states father Alexander Scott, Farmer, Deceased  ???

Can you please post any info. you have with names & dates to save "double trouble"
I do find a Alexander Scott, shepherd, who was born in Kilmonivaig, Inverness-shire, lives with his parents both in Kilmonivaig and Glengarry. His Dad is also a shepherd.

When was this Alexander born, what was his mother's name & do you know his mother's m/s as it may help to locate his death cert.  ???

Which census yrs is Alexander with parent's in Kilmonivaig & Glengarry.

There are 4 deaths on SP (Argyll) & 2 (Inverness) for Alexander Scott 1855 - 1887 (yr Christina married). I didn't check for ages though.

None are in the Kimonivaig/Kilmallie/Lochaber/Glengarry districts which were the areas found in your research so he may have been on a farm in another area  :-\

This in turn may provide details of his marriage to Christina & Alexander's mother  ???

Anne Marie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 May 15 18:20 BST (UK) »
I did find a marriage record on SP for Feb 1838  between an Alexander Cameron and a Margaret Cameron (no maiden name listed)
I noticed that Alexander Scott, 1861 census, is listed as a girl. Could a little girl have been named Alexander?

Her maiden name would have been Cameron.

I noticed that on the transcription of Alexander but looks to be an error as there were no females "Scott" born that period Inverness/Argyll with name beginning Alex................as in Alexanderina, Alexina etc.

Anne Marie

Offline Artsangelssheila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 May 15 04:05 BST (UK) »
Anne Marie! Thank you so much for all your sleuthing. Here's what I've found so far.
Alexander Scott B. 1 Feb 1831, Baptized 3 Feb 1831, Kilmonivaig, Inverness-shire. Parents John Scott and Isabella McDonell
1841 census address Glendomor.  Dads occupation as sheperd. 6 children listed.
1851 Alex Scott is visitor in Borlum. Occupation Sheperd
1861 Address Letterfern. Living with his parents. Occupation Shepherd
1871 Address Letterfern. Living with mother only. Occupation Shepherd
1881 Address Letterfern. No parents. Occupation Sheperd
I found Alexander Scott's death cert on SP.  He died 10 Sept 1899 in Cullochy, Fort Augustus.
His occupation was farmer. He is listed as single. His mother's maiden name was McDonell and his dad John was a Shepherd. Hugh MacDonald, nephew on the maternal side was the informant.
I am hoping that this is the correct Alexander Scott. He is the only one who fits the occupation/age in the Inverness-shire area,but, unless I can link him to his daughter Christina Scott  ::) :P :-[ thanks again for the help and suggestions. Sheila
BTW, I found a marriage record for an Alexander Cameron to a Christy MacMillan 18 Jan 1810 in Aharacle, Argyll. This might be the marriage before Margaret and the reason for Christina Scotts name.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 May 15 11:36 BST (UK) »
I found Alexander Scott's death cert, died 10 Sept 1899 in Cullochy, Fort Augustus.
His occupation was farmer. He is listed as single. His mother's maiden name was McDonell and his dad John was a Shepherd. Hugh MacDonald, nephew on the maternal side was the informant.

Is this the same Alexander Scott (father of Christina) who was already deceased when she married in 1887  ???

Anne Marie