Author Topic: Grave - John Cox at Highgate Cemetery, St. James, St. Pancras  (Read 3869 times)

Offline ashanti

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grave - John Cox at Highgate Cemetery, St. James, St. Pancras
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

No other relatives are in this particular grave which holds just the two men (John in 1855 and William in 1864). But I'll check next time I'm in the library to see if any relatives are in other Highgate graves.

Do you know how Sarah Cox (lived in Islington and alive in 1855)  is related?

Ashanti

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashanti,
We are just so happy to find out more information on William & John.   Do really look forward to seeing anything you are able to find at the Library with regard to the family.

Sarah Cox was married to John Cox, was still alive when John Cox died in 1855, she migrated to Australia with her daughter Annie about 10 years later.    Sarah as far as we know lived at St. Johns Wood, I wonder if this is the same Sarah Cox at the Islington address in 1855. 
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline ashanti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

When Sarah Cox bought the grave (1855) she lived in Lower William Street, Islington (now named Essex Road).

When did they marry -- and what number wife was she?

I suspect (but I don't know for sure) that the Cox family lived in Marylebone rather than in St John's Wood -- might help with pinpointing your research.

I'll check the two names you gave me next time I'm in Holborn. Any other possibles? I wonder though if William Wentworth (died 1859) wasn't repatriated as his father was (who also died in England).

Was John Cox born in Highgate?

Ashanti.

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashanti,
Well that's interesting they called it Islington then, we have their address as 26 Lower William Street, Marylebone (as shown in John's death certificate) but the family books seem to call it St. Johns Wood.   Never knew it was now named Essex Road, we thought William Street was called Greentree these days, or something like that, across from Wellington Road further north.  Census records certainly show their address as St. John's Wood.   When Sarah came to Australia she named her home here St. Johns Wood Cottage.

John & Sarah Cox married 30.4.1832 her previous name was Jones.  I wonder also you question what number wife Sarah was.    Will have to go back into my research,  to confirm this, but we have been thinking that she could have been married before, as we have not been able to find when she was born, we are assuming around 1804.  However, John Cox would have been 49 years of age when he married Sarah, so maybe he had been married before too.
So yes, we still have a few blanks to fill in, with regard to John & Sarah Cox. 

John Cox was born in Broseley in 1783.   His Father Francis Cox was sent to Australia as a convict in 1790, leaving behind his wife Margaret and family.   John decided to join the 73rd Regiment, and came to Sydney to search for his Father in the early 1800's. He found him living with another woman, and children, John stayed in Sydney to help his father, then continued his service with the Regiment and later returned to England.    We don't know if he went back to Broseley after this, but he certainly settled at 26 William Street, Marylebone, where he seems to have brought his Mother Margaret Cox to live at a later date, where she died in 1846 aged 95 years.  John's wife Sarah was
witness to her death. 

There was also a nephew living at this address Thomas James who died in 1845 at 26 William Street,  Marylebone from TB.   We wonder if he was buried at Highgate as well.

Regarding William C. Wentworth who died in 1859, yes you are probably right, he was probably repatriated to Australia.   His Father William Charles Wentworth died at Merley House, Wimborne, Dorset in 1872 however his body was brought back to Australia, there was a State Funeral on the 6th May, 1873.  His Mother Sarah Wentworth died at Eastbourne in 1880 and she was buried in the cemetery in Eastbourne.
So we have no need to look any further into the Wentworths graves in the UK.

Thank you so much for your help Ashanti.

jan

New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir