Author Topic: Ewing Family of Renfrewshire/Greenock/Paisley  (Read 22557 times)

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ewing Family of Renfrewshire/Greenock/Paisley
« on: Tuesday 07 April 15 03:18 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I would like to find some and more information about my Ancestors, the Ewing family. I'm from Queensland, Australia and I've found out from research over here, that I have a Scottish ancestry and am now very proud to have I must say. After travelling back through time with them, It's proven to be a unbelievable story of joy, hardship and sacrifice. They were made of just the right pioneering fortitude that helped make this wonderful country what it is today.

They were John Ewing who wed Mary McKinnon [love that sweet sounding name] and travelled to Australia obviously by ship, with it appears to be six of their children. There's a medal right there. :)

I cannot find anywhere over here on any available passenger lists when they arrived or to where they first set foot or the name of the vessel. Total blank here. John was the son of John Ewing who
wed Margaret Sproul on 17th May 1828.

I have more information about the family should anyone require some.
Cheers for now and fingers crossed.

Ewing, McKinnon, Sproul, Sanderson, Douglas, Quince, Lyell, Sharp.

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ewing Family of Renfrewshire/Greenock/Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My wife is related to you.

John Ewing & Margaret Sproul are her GGGG Grandparents. Their son John had a sister called Agnes who married John Tudhope.

Small world
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Davieboy,

Thanks for making contact and making my day as well. Wow !!. When I started this journey I didn't know why, but something was calling and I knew I had to do it, I had to find out and I can't and won't stop. From the first little unknown discovery, that little spark in me turned into a little flame and it will keep burning forever when I find that I have relations from my mother land.

Just yesterday I finally found where John Ewing, who landed here so long ago with his wife Mary [McKinnon] and six children looking for adventure and a better life for his family, died and is buried. He is buried in a Presbyterian lot grave #2223 in the Warwick Cemetery, Queensland. I'll be going there next week.

Warwick is a country town just about an hour's drive south-west fromToowoomba.
He got a job after arriving here [that's what I need to find out] worked on the Railway line that was pushing west from Brisbane to connect with the cattle and sheep areas of the Darling Downs.

I also need to know which 'Mary McKinnon' he married as there seems to be not only a lot of them with the same name from the same time period but the same area.

I haven't followed the Agnes Ewing line yet so I'd be grateful for some information if you have it.
I had information from another tree of her marrying a 'John Robertson' but I haven't followed that up. So you say a 'John Tudhope'. I'm sure you will be right.

I hope and love to hear more from you and your wife. I'm soooooooooo excited.
I've yet to see any photos of my relations. Now that WILL be exciting. My father had blue eyes
and joined the Navy in WW-1 and when I saw his uncle's war record from when he enlisted in the Army he also had blue eyes and nearly the same height 5'9''.

Cheers for now.

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think John Roberston / John Tudhope were the same person or that Marion was the illegitimate daughter of Agnes & John Tudhope.

In 1882 a Marion Tudhope married Peter Paterson in Paisley listing her parents as John Tudhope & Agnes Ewing. Peters parents were Peter Paterson & Agnes Kerr

In 1932 Peter Paterson died in Hillhead House, Shandon, Helensburgh listing his wife as Marion Tudhope and his occupation as a gardener. Peters parents were listed as Peter Paterson & Agnes Kerr

In 1933 Marion Paterson died at Govan in Glasgow. Her death entry stated she was the widow of Peter Paterson who was a jobbing gardener and whose usual address was Hillhead House, Shandon. Her parents were listed as Agnes Ewing "subsequently married to John Robertson".

The 1891 census shows her living in the Plantation area of Glasgow (which is next to Govan) with her husband & Agnes Robertson (Widow) so on balance I reckon Marion Tudhope / Marion Robertson are one and the same.

To be honest I cant be sure other than make an educated guess as to why.
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the information and the dilemma.  :)
What a conundrum. Who to put into the tree ?

It looks as though you suspect John Tudhope is correct. Surely one of the names John Robertson
or John Tudhope would be missing in a census at some stage. ? [before death naturally]

Intriguing isn't it ?. That's what makes it fun and exasperating at the same time.
Thanks again and keep in touch.

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 April 15 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I know where GGGG Grandfather John Ewing and my GGGG Grandmother Margaret [Sproul] Ewing
are buried over there, they are in the Woodside Cemetery along with others I'm also related to.

Is there any way of getting what's written on the headstones and or photos of them would be better.
I've tried a billion graves and they don't have anything on or about them.

Cheers and thank you.

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 April 15 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I know where GGGG Grandfather John Ewing and my GGGG Grandmother Margaret [Sproul] Ewing
are buried over there, they are in the Woodside Cemetery along with others I'm also related to.

Is there any way of getting what's written on the headstones and or photos of them would be better.
I've tried a billion graves and they don't have anything on or about them.

Cheers and thank you.

Do you have any plot numbers?

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 April 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
Yes Sir, I most certainly do.

John Ewing  29/05/1877  77yrs  72 Causeyside Paisley       Lair 120  Compt  21
Margaret Ewing 13/06/1896  87yrs Moor Paisley                      120             21
Isabella Ewing  07/05/1871  76yrs  Brediland Moor                  119             21
Mary Ewing  14/02/1925  83yrs  Craw Rd Hospital Paisley         120             21
Elizabeth Ewing  08/03/1863  72yrs 15 Prussia St., Paisley two  119             21
Thomas Ewing 15/08/1858  7yrs  Brediland Moor                      119            21
Janet Ewing  08/09/1864  7 Months  Brediland Moor                  119            21
Margaret Ewing or Sharpe 32yrs  Brediland Moor Paisley             119            21  *Transferred ??
Jane Ewing Douglas  45yrs  Brediland Moor Paisley                     119            21
Margaret Sproul Douglas  18yrs 2 Thamos St., Pailsey                120            21
Marion Muir  64yrs  RA Infirmary Paisley 9 Maxwellton                119            21

There's a couple more in the same Lair/Compartment numbers
I'm not sure of through marriage I suspect like Jane Orr 24yrs, Bella Douglas 9yrs,
John Douglas 18 Months.

* I suspect this means she's not there but only in name and moved to the Sharpe
   Lair/Compartment, if so she must have been much loved by them.
   There maybe a Sharpe Family member out there who reads this and knows.

Put all that in your family tree !  :)
Cheers.

*** Still struggling to find the exact Mary McKinnon however who married
      John Ewing and landed here in Oz and when. I'll dig out what I have or
      suspect and see if there is anyone out there with the exact one.

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 April 15 21:31 BST (UK) »
Yes Sir, I most certainly do.

John Ewing  29/05/1877  77yrs  72 Causeyside Paisley       Lair 120  Compt  21
Margaret Ewing 13/06/1896  87yrs Moor Paisley                      120             21
Isabella Ewing  07/05/1871  76yrs  Brediland Moor                  119             21
Mary Ewing  14/02/1925  83yrs  Craw Rd Hospital Paisley         120             21
Elizabeth Ewing  08/03/1863  72yrs 15 Prussia St., Paisley two  119             21
Thomas Ewing 15/08/1858  7yrs  Brediland Moor                      119            21
Janet Ewing  08/09/1864  7 Months  Brediland Moor                  119            21
Margaret Ewing or Sharpe 32yrs  Brediland Moor Paisley             119            21  *Transferred ??
Jane Ewing Douglas  45yrs  Brediland Moor Paisley                     119            21
Margaret Sproul Douglas  18yrs 2 Thamos St., Pailsey                120            21
Marion Muir  64yrs  RA Infirmary Paisley 9 Maxwellton                119            21

There's a couple more in the same Lair/Compartment numbers
I'm not sure of through marriage I suspect like Jane Orr 24yrs, Bella Douglas 9yrs,
John Douglas 18 Months.

* I suspect this means she's not there but only in name and moved to the Sharpe
   Lair/Compartment, if so she must have been much loved by them.
   There maybe a Sharpe Family member out there who reads this and knows.

Put all that in your family tree !  :)
Cheers.

*** Still struggling to find the exact Mary McKinnon however who married
      John Ewing and landed here in Oz and when. I'll dig out what I have or
      suspect and see if there is anyone out there with the exact one.

i'll try and get there in the next couple of days. I'm not that far away