Author Topic: Ardeley - Pigs Foot Farm  (Read 4387 times)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Ardeley - Pigs Foot Farm
« on: Tuesday 07 April 15 08:54 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate where Pigs Foot Farm in Ardeley was around the time of the 1911 Census.  I have tried visiting the village, but it does not appear to exist anymore, and I have been unable to locate it on old maps.  If anyone has local knowledge of the village, and can point me in the right direction, it would be very helpful.

Also if anyone has any pictures of it, I would be very interested to see them.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ardeley - Pigs Foot Farm
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 09:08 BST (UK) »
Steve, have you checked the neighbouring properties in the 1911 census? You may come across a landmark or road which still exists today and this may help you narrow down the location of the farm. Also on page 1 you should be able to see the enumerator's walk, which will tell you the route he took collecting the censuses. This may also give you an indication as to where the farm was located.

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I hadn't thought of that.  Unfortunately I do not have a subscription to "A" at the moment.  I should have thought of looking over the weekend when access was free.  It looks like one for the next library visit. 

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 10:51 BST (UK) »
We are not allowed to do lookups of the 1911 census, but this is not strictly a lookup. If you tell me the names of your family and any other details I can try to find at least a rough location of the farm on a map.  :)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

That is really appreciated.

The Head of the family is William Warwick Born 27th March 1854 at Farnham in Essex.

Family consists of -
William
Rosetta
Harold William
Ida
Frederick
Ernest
Amy
Herbert
Muriel
Lilian

Kind Regards
Steve

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 06:47 BST (UK) »
Working on it now, but don't have a lot of time till I have to sign off - so I will get back to it later.  :)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 06:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 06:54 BST (UK) »
Found it. Pigsfoot.

Right in the centre of the map on the left:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=51.9171&lon=-0.0877&layers=171&right=BingHyb

Other place names mentioned in the 1911 census can be seen in the surrounding area -
Muncers Green
Parkers Green
Wood End
Leycroft
Moor Green
Gardners End
(it actually covers a lot of ground, so to find these places you have to scroll around a bit)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Thanks ever so much for locating it.  I can understand where it would have been now, Maybe time for a trip out later today, although no sign of the farm now.

Kind Regards
Steve