Author Topic: Where Am I? No 12  (Read 102187 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No 12 (New)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 April 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
Great observations Pat!  Yes that does look like a tower on what is probably the front of the house, at a glance I thought it was just another chimney stack.  All these clues help with the hunt, well spotted  ;D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 April 15 14:04 BST (UK) »
It does look as though the house is up on a terrace - perhaps to take advantage of a view, which may also be the reason for the tower. By the sea perhaps?

I don't think this photo is taken from the back of the house though ...

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 April 15 14:10 BST (UK) »
I think everyone is right to suggest the seaside.

The open windows and the ''observation tower'' do make me lean toward seaward views.

Is the aerial on the tower a communications device as opposed to weather vane? This would give a nod the to RAF idea by Trishanne
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 April 15 14:19 BST (UK) »
I wonder if that post bottom right is one of a pair and used to hold a tennis net. Looks about the right height.

I think you're right George, also about the chairs being their to view the tennis!  :)

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 April 15 14:22 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it's a care home, sanatorium or something like that...look at the benches...just

made me think of that and a lot of the windows are open, which probably means

absolutely nothing ;D ;D

Joy

It does look for all the world like one of those houses you see in war films where the wounded are repatriated!  As I said, it was taken around the same era as the others, so certainly could have been used by the forces (as was one of the other WAIs which I can't think of at the moment).

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 April 15 14:24 BST (UK) »
.... a lot of the windows are open ...

Joy

Means it is a hot summer day probably. ;)

That is a huge greenhouse on the right. And behind that - is that part of the same property or a close neighbour?

I wonder that about the building behind and whether it's attached or it's some large outbuilding.  Could be the neighbours as well.

Caz

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 April 15 14:27 BST (UK) »
This again is probably the back of the house, although the greenhouse you would think would be at the back.
 Is that a square tower showing between the 2nd and 3rd chimneys from the left?
Do you think it could look out to sea from that glassed tower?
Many large houses were taken over as RAF officers mess, could that explain the tower?
The only other thing I can think of is it now used as a clubhouse for, golf, cricket, tennis etc.
As you will be able to tell, I have no idea!!
Pat

I think there is another tower and that was also my thoughts that the tower provided a sea view.

I just hope it still stands.  Perhaps it's been converted to flats (perish the thought), but you could be right and it's some sort of club house now.  Doesn't look the right sort of building for conversion to a hotel, but you never know.

Caz

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 April 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
Great observations Pat!  Yes that does look like a tower on what is probably the front of the house, at a glance I thought it was just another chimney stack.  All these clues help with the hunt, well spotted  ;D

I agree, nothing like a good brainstorm and sharing of ideas!  ;D  All suggestions are welcome,  as even the smallest clue helps!

Caz

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 April 15 14:36 BST (UK) »
It does look as though the house is up on a terrace - perhaps to take advantage of a view, which may also be the reason for the tower. By the sea perhaps?

I don't think this photo is taken from the back of the house though ...

I just dug this up about Edwardian gardens, so if George is right and that is a tennis court, then this could well be the back, but of course, there are exceptions to every rule and there isn't much evidence to go on.  I agree that the lawn area is sunken and the house built on a terrace.

"The Rear Garden
Some common features of the larger 20th Century gardens were a tennis court,
an aviary, a summerhouse or an arbour, a fernery or a shade house. These were
set in lawns and shrub garden beds. Hedges were grown along the side fences
and the favoured trees were large, introduced flowering trees."

This snippet was taken from a site detailing how to restore properties to ensure they are historically correct.

Caz