Author Topic: Hannah STOKES nee HEMMINGS formerly WILLSHER - death  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Helen13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hannah STOKES nee HEMMINGS formerly WILLSHER - death
« on: Wednesday 08 April 15 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to trace Hannah HEMMINGS born 1830 as married to Mr F STOKES of New York. Hannah according to the Jackson's Oxford Journal married on August 9 1859 to Mr F STOKES at Brooklyn, query in New York.

Hannah HEMMINGS was the daughter of Joseph Jeffcoat HEMMINGS and Martha KNIBBS. She married Joseph WILLSHER on 10 March 1849 in London, England.  She became a widow on 24 March 1850 and had a son from this first marriage - Joseph Franklin WILLSHER.

I have confirmation from 1851 English census that she is in England in 1851 with her son. After that date I have no information.

As she is never again with her son on the English Censuses, I assume that she stayed in USA with her second husband.

Please could some kind person look for her in New  York and give me any idea about how to search for her in America. I would very much like to find her death.

Many thanks in advance
Helen

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah STOKES nee HEMMINGS formerly WILLSHER - death
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 15 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen:

I'm not finding anything, unfortunately.  I am not too familiar with New York records, so there could be quite a bit that I've missed, but I don't see any reference to Mr. Stokes in Brooklyn.

There is a Frederick A. Stokes (father and son), but they appear not to be the man for whom you are searching.

Are you quite certain that they were married in the states?  Have you seen the article that has the exact wording?  Could there be another clue in the article?

In the 1857 New York Directory, there is a Frederick A. Stokes, mer. 67 Front, house 28 Fourth Place, Brooklyn.  On June 21, 1859, F. A. Stokes, No 63 Front Street, New York was selling Claret.  This man appears to be the father of the F.A. Stokes mentioned above.  Neither man, according to findings on the internet, appear to be for your man.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 15 22:24 BST (UK) »
Did the information specifically say Brooklyn, New York?  There are other Brooklyns in the US. 

Offline Helen13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 April 15 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you both for help and your replies.

At the library using the web searching British Newspapers I found the following newspaper article and I transcribed it -

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, October 1, 1859; Issue 5553.
Married:
August 9, at Brooklyn, United States, Mr F. Stokes of New York, to Hannah, widow of the late Mr Joseph Willsher, formerly grocer, of Magdalen-street, in this city.

Hannah's father ran a grocery bushiness from 13 Magdalen Street, Oxford.

This is an article about her first marriage that I also transcribed:
Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, March 24, 1849; Issue 5004.
Married:
On the 10th inst., at St Andrew's Church, Holborn, London, Mr Joseph Willsher, son of the late Mr John Willsher, grocer, of Towcester, Northamptonshire to Hannah, daughter of Mr Joseph J. Hemmings, grocer, St Giles's, in this city.

The only other information I have is that Hannah as Hannah WILLSHER was described as a Music teacher on the 1851 England census.

Many thanks for the help
Helen