Author Topic: Holland family possibly of Chedworth  (Read 2819 times)

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holland family possibly of Chedworth
« on: Wednesday 08 April 15 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have hit a brick wall with my husband's 5X great grandfather David Holland. I know he was married in Chedworth to Frances Robins 7th August 1758 and died /buried 2 February 1826 in the Northleach cemetery of the Chedworth Independent Congregational Church. The records has him aged 88 therefore giving him an approximate birth date of 1737/8. I also cannot find this France Robins although the Rob(b)ins family seems to have a number of lines in Chedworth.

I have all the children of this marriage but am wondering if anyone has come across an appropriate Holland family in the Gloucestershire area? There is one other ? clue. One of the children--Mary-- was baptized in Chedworth 1767 but born a couple of years earlier Dec 1764 in Faringdon Berkshire.

If anyone has any suggestions about lines I can follow I would be happy to hear from them.

Thank you

Sue T

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Holland family possibly of Chedworth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 May 15 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I can't find a David Holland/Huilland in Chedworth.  Don't know if this helps, but the only male Holland of the right birth date I've found is this one: 
IGI:
Name:
   Holland
Christening Date:
   24 Jul 1737
Christening Place:
   CREWKERNE,SOMERSET,ENGLAND
Father's Name:
   Robt. Holland
Mother's Name:
   Martha
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: P00267-1

I have found a Frances Robins  dau John & Mary Robins  bap  6 July 1734  Stratton Audley Oxfordshire.

Following the Berkshire clue - there were Robins in Berkshire:
A Frances Robins was bap in  Wantage Berks in 1727 dau to Thomas and Mary Robins.  However, I believe this Frances later married  Benjamin Church in 1744 West Hanney Berkshire.
BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 15 14:15 BST (UK) »
There are many Robbins and Holland surnames on FreeREG for Chedworth. There is also a Stephen Robins baptised 29/12/1704 in Chedworth whose parents were William and Frances, so possibly with a reuse of the Christian name a possible father of your Frances. A lot more research needed on this supposition though! There are a lot of children for David Holland and Frances Robbins on there also which you have probably got with the last one being David baptised 28/12/1768.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 06:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both for suggestions. I have once again revisited FreeReg and the actual parish records for Chedworth and surrounding areas and there are many tantalizing clues but no actual evidence. Many on-line trees have made assumptions without evidence--eg. that Frances is the daughter of Charles Robbins and Elizabeth Avery but her baptism cannot be found. I will now follow up suggestions and widen the field to surrounding counties(although I have looked there).

Many thanks for your thoughts.
Sue

Offline Ruth17

• RootsChat Member
  • My grandparents John & Sarah Evans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 July 15 20:17 BST (UK) »
I have hit a brick wall with Rachel Holland who also married in Chedworth - to Thomas Peachey in 1767. Rachel Peachey was also buried at Chedworth Independent Chapel. By calculation, she was born about 1744.
I guess that Rachel could be a younger sister of David. There are also a few other Hollands who seem to appear in Chedworth around the same time - namely John, Joel and Catherine. 

I'm not sure whether they have come from elsewhere, or whether there are no records because they were non conformists.

Ruth
WITHERS, BEVAN, PARNELL, TOVEY & MINETT, Thornbury GLS;EVANS Amberley GLS & B'ham post 1872; VINCENT Burbage WIL & Avening GLS; WEST & BISHOP, Tetbury GLS; RATCLIFFE Kemble & Rodmarton GLS;

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 July 15 17:57 BST (UK) »
  I expect that you have got Thomas's burial on the 14/1/1816 at the same chapel.
regards
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Ruth17

• RootsChat Member
  • My grandparents John & Sarah Evans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 July 15 18:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, Thanks Paco. I have seen the burials at the Independent Chapel. Do you know whether any baptisms exist from the chapel?
WITHERS, BEVAN, PARNELL, TOVEY & MINETT, Thornbury GLS;EVANS Amberley GLS & B'ham post 1872; VINCENT Burbage WIL & Avening GLS; WEST & BISHOP, Tetbury GLS; RATCLIFFE Kemble & Rodmarton GLS;

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 July 15 14:48 BST (UK) »
Do you use the Forest of Dean Family History website? 

The records include:  Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations 1747-1837 and Marriage Bonds 1730-1802
+ a few earliers ones.

These are very useful and include etc information not found in Marriage Banns -  age/occupation etc i.e.

Marriage at Chedworth - 2 December 1749

William PEACHEY, Widower, occupation, Weaver, residence Chedworth
Mary ROBBINS - Spinster, Chedworth

married by Bond - he signs

witnesses: William HILL a Yeoman of Hampnet, S HUGHES, R HARDING

Memoranda: The groom and William HILL are bound in the sum of £100.  To marry at Chedworth.

There are approximately 25 ROBINS and 25 ROBBINS : 18 PEACHEY/PEACHY/PECHY/PEACH listed residence Chedworth -

e.g.

2 July 1763

William TIMBREL - age 30, Batchelor, Yeoman, residence, Chedworth
Catherine ROBINS - age 25 - Spinster, residence, Chedworth

Marriage Allegations: Sworn before Edwd SPARKES to marry in the parish church of Chedworth

---

Looking for family groups of HOLLAND  Allegations/Bonds : 1758 plus or minus 10 years - there are 20 in total, the biggest groups are 8 from Maisemore