Author Topic: Searching for my great granddad - William Armour  (Read 3684 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for my great granddad - William Armour
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 13:40 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage- Thomas Cooper m.(23 May 1923 Ballymoney district) Cassie McClarty
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Helene Rosemary Sellman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lauren,
I don't know if you'll see this as it's been over 2 years since your original post, which I came across through googling the Cooper name while researching my granddaughter's ancestry. My son-in-law is in fact a Great-Grandson of Tommy and Cassie Cooper. They had a son. You may by now have found all the information you need, and I'm not sure I can find out anything for you to be honest, but I thought you'd be interested to know. Thomas Cooper did indeed marry Cassie McClarty, she was a widow and her maiden name was Brownlow, but they didn't marry until at least 1922. Her first husband died in 1921. I didn't know that they also had a daughter but I'll be asking my son-in-law's dad if he knows anything about his grandparents taking in a young boy and about Molly, who would have been his aunt. Hope your search has borne fruit by now!

Offline laurenarmour

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lauren,
I don't know if you'll see this as it's been over 2 years since your original post, which I came across through googling the Cooper name while researching my granddaughter's ancestry. My son-in-law is in fact a Great-Grandson of Tommy and Cassie Cooper. They had a son. You may by now have found all the information you need, and I'm not sure I can find out anything for you to be honest, but I thought you'd be interested to know. Thomas Cooper did indeed marry Cassie McClarty, she was a widow and her maiden name was Brownlow, but they didn't marry until at least 1922. Her first husband died in 1921. I didn't know that they also had a daughter but I'll be asking my son-in-law's dad if he knows anything about his grandparents taking in a young boy and about Molly, who would have been his aunt. Hope your search has borne fruit by now!

Hi Helene - thanks so much for your post. This is brilliant news. I unfortunately hit a bit of a brick wall last year so I must admit, the search slowed down. This is such helpful information though that I can feedback to my granddad. Do you know if your son-in-law recollects Molly looking after a young boy? Or remembers anyone speaking of a William?

Thanks again, I look forward to chatting more!

Offline Helene Rosemary Sellman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 November 17 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi lauren,
Glad you saw my post!  My daughter messaged her father-in-law re. me seeing your post, and his reply was that he knew your Great Grandad, he remembered his name  - I hadn't mentioned the name - and that he had become successful, had several shops? But that he had gone back to NI frequently to visit his Grandmother, Cassie. He didn't say any more, and I have a feeling that he won't be able to help you any further. I will ask, but he's a generation 'out' really. His mum might know more, she 's the widow of Molly's brother, she's still alive but very old and frail. I did come across some Armour graves in Rasharkin on a website the other day. I'll see if I can find them again. Will get back to you!