Author Topic: Welsh family, of Hawick.  (Read 4236 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh family, of Hawick.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
When Robert Welsh died in 1898 in Hawick the informant for his death-certificate was his son John Welsh whose address was in Cramlington, Northumberland. Robert Welsh's father Thomas Welsh, a wool-sorter, was married to 1. Betty Lamb, and 2. Jane or Jeanie Kedie, who had formerly been married to a man called Bell. Thomas ended his days in the District Asylum in Melrose. As I said before, I'm descended from Thomas's sister Martha Welsh.

Robert Welsh started off as a wool-sorter but was a confectioner by the 1880s. He married 1. Margaret Wilson, 2. Margaret Chisholm and 3. Isabella Dalrymple Smith, a widow with 3 children who had been working as a housekeeper.

Back in the 1980s and 1990s when I was researching my family-tree I corresponded with an American descendant of the Welshes called Nancy Rougvie. I don't think she is still alive so I can probably mention her by name. There were quite a few American relatives.

Harry

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline charlesstewartjacobs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 July 18 23:41 BST (UK) »
I wanted to let you know that Nancy Rougvie is still with us and is a great source for Hawick's Welsh family history.  She lives in Rhode Island.  I will attempt to contact her and refer her to rootschat.com.  By the way, I am related to the Welsh family through my paternal grandmother, Isabelle Dalrymple Welsh.  Her father is Archibald Stewart Welsh, the son of Robert Ballantyne Welsh and Isabella Dalrymple.  I live in Utah, USA.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 July 18 09:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, it's good to know that Nancy is still with us.

Harry