Author Topic: Can anyone help me with this Nottingham pub please ?  (Read 2840 times)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone help me with this Nottingham pub please ?
« on: Wednesday 08 April 15 14:52 BST (UK) »
I've got a pub token (undated) of Nottingham(shire?). The landlord's name seems to be CR Tooley & it's inscribed "The Royal Mint". I don't know  whether there was a pub with this name or if that's a joke about the fact that it's a token & not official currency. Does anyone know  anything about this  please ?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me with this Nottingham pub please ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 15 21:27 BST (UK) »

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 April 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
Oh, thanks very much. The name Tooley seems familiar to me somehow in relation to a Nottm pub....-perhaps have seen it over the door of one

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
Just in case anyone is interested.....contacted the people suggested, but they couldn't help (they mainly deal with pubs that have gone since WW2) Then I found that CW Tooley's are present day dealers in fruit & vegetables in Nottm.....so it could well be a market & not a pub token (knew I knew the name from somewhere). It doesn't explain why it has "The Royal Mint" on it....never seen this before. Am contacting Tooleys to see if they know anything about it (bet they'll be delighted.... ;D)

Offline corieltauvi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 May 15 12:20 BST (UK) »
Possibly related is Charles William Tooley of 61, Loughborough Road, West Bridgford; a potato merchant in the 1901 Census.
Burgoyne
Gorwyn
Zeffertt
Young (Nottingham)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 May 15 13:15 BST (UK) »

"C. W. Tooley Nottingham Market Tally
   This alloy Nottingham Market tally was found by Jeff Oscroft on a club search. It is 27.5mm. in diameter and 1.4g. in weight, the surface has some pitting caused by corrosion which is unfortunately all too common to find in this type of metal when it is recovered from the soil.    
The tally was shown to Grenville Chamberlain, Secretary of the Numismatic Society of Nottinghamshire and author of the book ‘Nottingham Market Tallies’. He said the tally had not been recorded in his book and to the best of his knowledge was of a previously unknown type. He asked if he could record it and use it when he updated the book. Jeff agreed to this and went even further by saying that Grenville could keep the token to add to his collection."

And from :- http://www.petermorris.co.uk/lists/refreshment%20and%20inn%20checks.html
RT.20 Nottingham, C.W. Tooley, R.M. (Royal Mint Inn ?) 6d Uniface. (31mm) Brass    VF    £16   

Regards

Malky