Author Topic: NISBETs in Reston/Ayton  (Read 5601 times)

Offline Jnisbet1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NISBETs in Reston/Ayton
« on: Wednesday 08 April 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
I have a family tree that dates back to the 1700s but I'm looking for some more info on the following members of my family:

David Nisbet (1774-1851) married to Agnes Sinclair (born in Reston)
John Nisbet (born 1740s?) married to Isabella (farmed The Knocke near Duns)
James Nisbet (1740 - 1815)
David Nisbet (father of John Nisbet above so born in the 1720s?)

Any info gratefully received

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: NISBETs in Reston/Ayton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 15 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Are you sure Agnes Sinclair came from Reston? Two records are showing for her marriage to David Nisbet indicating the couple came from two separate parishes, Banns were therefore posted in both:
29 Apr 1803 Oldhamstocks, East Lothian
29 Apr 1803 Coldingham, Berwickshire

Their children were baptised at Coldingham
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f41/

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 15 11:27 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Jnisbet1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
ev - that 1851 census looks correct, many thanks

Br1gru - I have Agnes Sinclair as being born in Coldingham.  David Nisbet was born in Reston and then became a draper apprenticed to Robert Nisbet of Coldingham Hill.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 April 15 21:47 BST (UK) »
Don’t know if you use Ancestry or already have these transcriptions from the parish registers. In case you don’t I’ve copied them over, courtesy of a public family tree.  Maybe it’s yours?

COLDINGHAM OPR 732/5

p151 April 29th 1803 David Nisbet Portioner in West Reston and Agnes Sinclair Birnieknows in Oldhamstocks Parish having been regularly proclaimed were this day married.

p56 Febry 9th 1809 Isabel daughter of David Nisbet Portioner in West Reston and Agnes Sinclair his wife was baptized Witnesses John Dewar Portioner and James Liddle Labourer both in West Reston said child being born 15th Janry last

p364 Novr 5th 1806 Margaret daughter of David Nisbet Weaver in West Reston and Agnes Sinclair his wife was Baptized Witnesses John Dewar Portioner in West Reston and Thos Sinclair her brother said child being born Octr 24th last 732/6

p77 Janry 12th 1811 Agnes daughter of David Nisbet Weaver and Portioner in West Reston and Agnes Sinclair his wife was baptized Witnesses James Murray tenant in West Reston Said child being born Decr 24th last

p137 Septr 3d 1815 Alison daughter of David Nisbet Portioner & Weaver in West Reston and Agnes Sinclair his wife was Baptized Witnesses Robt Allison Residenter and John Dewar Portioner both in West Reston Said Child born Augt 9th last

p186 July 28th 1819 Magdalene daughter of David Nisbet Portioner in West Reston and his wife Agnes Sinclair was baptized Witnesses Thos Nisbet of Baonnyhaughs and Ralph Guthrie Schoolmr West Reston said child Born 15th July Courant 732/7

p24 Janry 20th 1832 Robert Henry son of Michael Henry Cabinetmaker Roxburgh Street and Agnes Nisbet daughter of David Nisbet Portioner in West Reston, he in West Kirk Parish and she in this, having been lawfully proclaimed were this day married. 732/8

p13 Augt 2d 1846 William Grant Bankhouse and Magdalin Nisbet daughter of David Nisbet merchant Reston both in this parish and proclaimed August 2d 1846

ST CUTHBERTS (EDINBURGH) OPR 685-2/42

p272 16 January 1832 Robert Hendrie Wright residing in No 2 Roxburgh Street in this Parish and Agnes Nisbet, residing at West Reston in the Parish of Coldingham, Daughter of David

[looks as if a bit is missing from the end]

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/52853006/person/13418308762/citation/38624243212?pg=32772&pgpl=pid

Offline Jnisbet1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 April 15 14:01 BST (UK) »
Br1gau - many thanks for posting the entries some of which I hadn't seen.

If anyone has any info going back before 1800 that would be of great interest.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 April 15 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I also have Berwickshire Nisbets going back to William Nisbet, a merchant in Eyemouth whose daughter, Alison, married Rev James Ramsay in about 1695.  Apart from the fact that she died before 1730 and had two sisters, Elizabeth and Isobel, I know very little about any of them, although with the paucity of available records I count myself very lucky in getting back that far.  The Rev James Ramsay is a different matter; there’s no one so well documented as a Scottish minister!

This pdf doc is a chronological list of Nisbet references so may be of use, if only for elimination purposes.  I can see my own people there, both Nisbet and Ramsay, (they later lived in Coldingham, Ayton & Kelso) but know that I will have to go to the NAS in Edinburgh to find out more. 
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f4o/

There is also this resource from the Nisbet Society:
http://www.nisbetts.co.uk/archives/nesd2.htm
http://www.nesbittnisbet.org.uk/html/publications.html

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 April 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Just checking in to follow the thread as I also have Nesbitt / Nisbet / Nisbit in Northumberland.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Jnisbet1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 April 15 21:47 BST (UK) »
Br1gau - many thanks for all the information which I will pick through with interest.  I've attached a copy of our rather crude family tree which might be of interest. I also took a DNA test through the N/N Society which came up with a match to the Nisbet of that Ilk line.