Author Topic: Naming Patterns in Scotland  (Read 2953 times)

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Naming Patterns in Scotland
« on: Thursday 09 April 15 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hello chatters,

Can anyone please tell me if the names used to distinguish people of the same name carries on through their descendants.

For example. I have a Duncan McRae born about 1806 to Alexander 'alias Doune' McRae, from Invershiel and a baptism of Ann McRae in 1805 at Glenshiel, to Murdoch McRae, John Doune's son. Alexander is the son of a John McRae, so would Alexander & Murdoch be related, possibly brothers?

Does the name apply to all children, or is it conferred on a son only?

Hoping to hear from some knowledgeable Scot.
AMH

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Patterns in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 15 08:43 BST (UK) »
 From my family, Donald 'Muckle' Jack was the father of Lewis 'Dusty' Jack. This was in the

area of Avoch R&C. These aka names in that area were known as T/names or By/names. To my

knowledge they were not 'handed down' but were given to distinguish one from another and

usually referred to a particular characteristic of that person. The same habit did not apply to the

women.

HTH

Joy
Edit to add - I'm half Scot but most of my research is in Scotland 8)
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 April 15 14:20 BST (UK) »
AMH,  I think donn or doun refers to him/her having brown hair, ban-fair, dubh-black, ruadh-red.

Skoosh.

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 05:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you to you both for your replies. I think you are quite right, as if he was a 'son of Donald' for example he'd be referred to Alexander 'Donaldson' McRae or something similar like 'alias Donaldson'.
AMH