Author Topic: Searching  (Read 3005 times)

Offline Miaheath78

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching
« on: Thursday 09 April 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

My family is searching for a George Russell who was Born in Alverstoke, Gosport, Hants and who Lived and Died also in Alverstoke.  He was 56 when he died in 1870 on February 21st.  We have a picture of some sort of memorial/grave but are trying to find out where this is?  Can anybody help

Kind Regards

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Searching
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 15 17:16 BST (UK) »
There is a record of a burial for George Russell at Haslar Naval Cemetery - 25th February 1870.
You can the full record for about £2 via this link :-

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 15 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Miaheath78

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

From experience of using deceasedonline, it might be better if you try to contact the cemetery directly for more information.

Contact details here

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/2044620/HASLAR%20ROYAL%20NAVAL%20CEMETERY

I tried to look at the records they hold for Kensal Green cemetery, I know of a few family plots there and the information deceasedonline hold is only an index. They have not digitised any of the ledgers which contain more in the way of genealogical nformation. I could have paid up but got nothing for my money.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 15 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice Dawn  :)  I came across the site just a few weeks ago and didn`t realise it wasn`t particularly helpful  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 April 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
Don't get me wrong Sue, the site and the information it supplies in their free search is absolutely brilliant.

It was just a heads up that once you have found an entry that gives the names of the deceased and their actual date of burial, it may be more beneficial to then contact the cemetery office directly.

Alternatively, if you have found loads of ancestors on the site it may be worthwhile checking out a subscription to see if that could be a cost effective way of moving your research forward.

My own experience of the records at Kensal Green, one of the 'Magnificent 7' and not a municpal cemetery was a disappointment.

I had got all the information directly from Kensal Green years ago and have seen the actual ledgers and what they contain so was quite surprised what limited information deceasedonline gave access to.

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 April 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
That's interesting that there was a burial there in 1870 if it is him, as according to this site the cemetery closed in 1859 and the Clayhall Cemetery opened for burial of Naval personnel.

http://www.haslarheritagegroup.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=109

Was George Russell connected to the Navy?