Author Topic: Fermoy Wedding c1900  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Whitla

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fermoy Wedding c1900
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 April 15 22:41 BST (UK) »
Glensman,

I've managed to get into to the Fermoy marriages site you suggested. You're right, not for the faint-hearted. I'll let you know how things go.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 April 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
Whitla

I don't think that I can give you a direct link because each person using the site must sign in as an individual.  However it is not difficult:

Go to:  http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
Click on Civil Records at the top of the page.
On the next page, fill in your own name and tick the box.
Fill in Fermoy in the District box and your date range. Tick the marriage box.
Complete the captcha on the next page and you should be faced with all marriages registered in Fermoy in those years.

Best of luck!

Edit:

Sorry - just noticed that you had already got there.  I will leave this post in case it may be of use to others.

Offline Whitla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 April 15 15:03 BST (UK) »
Glensman,

Thanks for your patience anyway.

Nothing hopeful leaped off the pages from Irish Genealogy, which leads us to conclude that our assumption that it was a Lucas wedding may have been a red herring - even though two of the bridesmaids are almost certainly Lucas gals from Fermoy.

Another reason for the Lucas assumption was the name of the photographer, which I had incorrectly read as Conche, when in fact it was  Jeffrey C. Couche, Vandyke Studio, Francis Street, Fermoy.

This morning we may have uncovered a tempting clue from an old family album which has an undated newspaper cutting from the early 1900's detailing a Fleury/Teulon wedding at Christ Church, Kilbrogan, Bandon, Cork. I'm wondering if our Fermoy photographer, Couche, could have  traveled to Bandon to take this picture. Back then, did studio photographers travel with their equipment?

By the way, the Fleury's and the Lucas's were also united in marriage.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 April 15 08:56 BST (UK) »
I do not know the answer to your question about whether a studio photographer from Fermoy would turn up in Bandon.  It seems unlikely to me but then travelling photographers were also common.

Civil records on the irishgenealogy website have been back online for less than a week.  They are undoubtedly a great asset but it appears that they are incomplete.  As an example, see

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=717904.0

So it is worth bearing in mind that the marriage you are seeking might just have been missed.  A look in church records might then be one way to go.  I suspect that you need Church of Ireland records?   Perhaps someone could identify the two clergymen - one more senior and confident in the middle of the crowd, the other at the back, younger and perhaps looking slightly diffident.  At least the COI records for Fermoy might be worth investigating.

Offline Whitla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 April 15 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks again. The link you provide shows an interesting and instructive search history.

Well spotted re. the two clergymen in the picture. My wife and I think they are possibly related and may well be also part of the groom's family if our evolving hunch that this is a Fleury wedding is correct. A quick look at Irish Church Records was unfruitful but perhaps I am digging in the wrong place.

What is your special area of interest?

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 April 15 17:09 BST (UK) »
You may be way ahead on this but of possible interest is Rev. Louis Richard Fleury who was Rector of Kilworth from 1885 and appears still to have been there in 1903.  He had a large family.  Lots of information here:

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/history/batch3/cole_cropped.pdf

My interest is in family history generally and in the challenge of solving mysteries.  Unfortunately I have zero local knowledge of the Cork area which would be useful in this case.

Offline Whitla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 April 15 09:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, we are on the same page! I did discover that interesting info. on Louis Richard Fleury.

I have sent the photo to Bandon Genealogy to see if they can confirm the identity of the clergymen. I'll keep you posted:-)

Perhaps between us we may yet crack this mystery.

All good wishes.