Author Topic: Mcilwraith/variants Brick Wall in Lanark--DNA anyone?  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mcilwraith/variants Brick Wall in Lanark--DNA anyone?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 09:31 BST (UK) »
There used to be a family of McIlwraiths here in Motherwell. I knew them in the late 1960s & early 70s when I worked with Mrs McIlwraith. Her name was Barbara and she would have been, I think, in her late fifties back then. I know she has been dead for many years now. Her husband was Robert and they had 3 children, Robert, William and Janice.
One of the boys, Robert I think, died young, he would have been in his late thirties I think. Don't know where the other two are now.
Barbara originally came from the Cambuslang area but I don't know if her husband also came from there or if he was a Motherwell man. I only mention this as Cambuslang is the next parish to Blantyre.
I hope I'm not muddying the waters by giving you this information. I have been trying, over the past few days, to put an age to the elder Robert, he worked in Colville's steel works in Motherwell and he was still working in the early 1970s but must have been in his late 50s at least. That's as much as I know.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 10:27 BST (UK) »
debbikiebler

I'm out of http://scotlandspeople.govt.uk credits but if you make/have an account there at the moment you could try putting in 'scotlandnow' into the code box and get 10 free credits. This would be enough to check the 1901 or 1911 record for free. Hopefully it still works.

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/heritage/trace-your-ancestry-free-credits-5466919

Robert McIlraith
1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Lanarkshire
Birth Year
Registration District
Calton
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline debbikiebler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
I've finally figured that out.  Very occasionally, Ancestry.com will have 1911 Scottish census data, but I've spent my share of credits on ScotlandsPeople also.

Thank you,

Debbi