Author Topic: Hewitson family  (Read 2900 times)

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hewitson family
« on: Friday 10 April 15 14:04 BST (UK) »
I'm here again  -  I am requiring help with my ancestors - the Hewitson family of Gatehouse of Fleet.    My great grandmother Jane - born 25 January 1866 travelled to Rochdale and with her came her brother Anthony, sisters Mary, Jessie and Annie.    I have traced these from birth to death and burial.   Later Jane's parents - John Hewitson and Jane (nee Bryan) also travelled to Rochdale and they are buried in the same cemetery (Rochdale) and their children.    It is my great great grandparents and the other members of this family I am struggling to find.      I cannot find one burial for any of them and feel sure they are all together somewhere.     Of nine children -I can only find the death for 3  -  John because he is in Rochdale,   Hugh Hewitson who drowned in the River Tweed 25 July 1880  - there was a newspaper article about the drowning and Mary who became Mary Allcock and died 24 Feb 1868 .   Of the remaining six children I can find no death or burial nor can I find the death or burial of their mother Rosannah  - I did find the death of the father Anthony on 25 May 1867.    I have tried all variations of their surname.  They were a family of wood cutters.    Did they have to be buried in a church of municipal burial ground -  could they have been buried nearby where they lived !!!  -   it just seems so odd that I can't find deaths for so many of them.   

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hewitson family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 April 15 19:11 BST (UK) »
Of the remaining six children I can find no death or burial nor can I find the death or burial of their mother Rosannah

No birthyears or names given for remaining children.   
Any females could have married so you would need their married names
What is the last census entry you have them on?

Is Rosannah shown as alive on Anthony's 1867 death cert?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hewitson family
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 April 15 19:42 BST (UK) »
Rosanna is on the 1891 census living with John Hewitson her son who is head -  She is aged 78.
But cannot find her on the 1901 or 1911 census. 

John and Jane are still in Gatehouse on 1901 census and they are on their own.    Between 1901 and 1903 John and Jane move to Rochdale and John dies in 1903.  Jane dies in 1906.   
I feel that Rosanna died between 1891 and 1901 -

On the death certificate for Anthony - it states married to Rosanna McGuinness -  yet another variation on her name -  the informant is named as William Hewitson (son)present.  Anthony died of Gastritus and Meningitus.  Although it says married to Rosanne - I have never found any marriage.   

All the other children I have found no marriages for.     I have never had so many members of one line of the family where I have hit a brick wall.    It does happen from time to time for one or at the most two members of a family but for so many seems strange.    Thanks anyway for looking -  I have spent more than £150 on Scotlands people, looked also on IGI, Ancestry and Findmypast and got nowhere

Regards