Author Topic: Frederick Craft  (Read 4652 times)

Offline ceeson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Craft
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 April 15 11:40 BST (UK) »

Thanks for reading my request, Ray.  Yes, the Darvill/Darvell family do appear in my tree by marriage. Ruth Wright, the mother of Frederick Craft, gives her father's name as DAVID Wright [deceased] on her marriage cert. to John Craft in 1880.    I know about Frederick Craft's Army career & his settling,after 1919, in Canada & then New Zealand where he died, but his birth & the name of his father is an absolute mystery.  Even though he may not have been baptised I'm sure he would have to be registered in England . Some records show his birth as 1874 & some as 1876 but there is no proof that I can find.  He had a chequered life which, again, leads me to believe that John Craft, from a steady farming background, was not his father   A mystery I probably will not solve but I don't intend to give up!!   Again, many thanks.

Cee

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 April 15 11:56 BST (UK) »
Some records show his birth as 1874 & some as 1876 but there is no proof that I can find.

I think that confusion comes from the fact that according to the censuses there were two Frederick Crafts born in Great Missenden - the Frederick C Craft 1874, which we have ruled out, and yours in 1876.

His birth should have been registered, but isn't under Craft. That leaves the stong possibility he was registered as Wright and probably away from the area, or less likely in his biological father's name. I very much doubt that John Craft was his father.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ceeson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 April 15 15:08 BST (UK) »

Thank you!  We are of the same opinion re Frederick'd birth but proving it is difficult.   I am going to try to find the unmarried mother & baby home but an added difficulty is that of his birth,whether 1874 or 1876, falling between 2 Census records

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 April 15 15:34 BST (UK) »
Did Mother and baby homes exist in the 1870s? Looking at this it was about 1891 http://www.motherandbabyhomes.com/.  She was probably just sent to friends or relatives in another town or perhaps a convent.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 April 15 14:42 BST (UK) »
There where a number of workhouses in Bucks so that may well be a good place to look. I would also echo the advice on looking at relatives. Certainly i found two illegitimate girls by accident as they appeared as grandchildren on the cencus. Once they where born they where raised by there grandparents while mum stayed in the workhouse.

Offline ceeson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 April 15 18:04 BST (UK) »

Thank you for your help.   I've looked at one in Winslow in the period 1774-1776 & am now checking deaths of possibilities & then moving to the 1881 Census for further evidence although Frederick's name was then Craft since his mother married John Craft in 1880.   I am assuming that if the child appears in the 1881 Census as Frederick WRIGHT it is not the child I am looking for.   Laborious but I'm determined!