Author Topic: Calvary Cemetery Newmarket/Hugginstown  (Read 2842 times)

Offline DeniseBS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Calvary Cemetery Newmarket/Hugginstown
« on: Sunday 12 April 15 02:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is anyone able to tell me when the Calvary Cemetery on the road between Newmarket and Hugginstown was opened for burials?

I am looking for the burial of someone who died in Newmarket in 1888.

Regards

Denise

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Benand

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Calvary Cemetery Newmarket/Hugginstown
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 15 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
Calvary Cemetery was opened during the 1980's. Before that there was the old cemetery in Hugginstown or Aghaviller or Kilcasey. If you want to give me a name I may be able to help you as regards old headstones

Offline DeniseBS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Benand and Dathi

I seemed to have missed these responses to my post entirely.  My apologies and thank you for taking the time to reply. If the offer to check headstones is still available, I am looking for my 3x gt grandfather Pierce Butler who died in Newmarket 12 Nov 1888. I checked a small cemetery in Newmarket when I was there in 1996 and the PP told me to also look at Sheepstown church which I did on another trip (big bull in the paddock between the road and church in 1996).

His wife was Margaret and I think she may have died in 1895. Too many Margaret Butlers in the Thomastown Registration district to be sure.

According to military records Pierce was born in Knocktopher, but when he married Margaret Cudahee in 1867, on his return to Ireland, he was living in Barretstown, she in Romans Valley. According to several records in the Petty Sessions on FindMyPast they seemed to have lived around the Romans Valley, Newmarket, Aghaviller area between 1867 and 1888.

Thank you and apologies again.

Denise

PS not on Face Book

Offline DeniseBS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry should have said I have looked at the Hugginstown churchyard, the first time I visited, before they tidied it up and the grass was up to my waist. Thought I was going to fall into a sunken grave. Didn't find anything then but may have missed something due to the conditions.

Denise