Author Topic: James Levingstone Craigs Ballymena 77th regiment of foot  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Patsy Luckie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Levingstone Craigs Ballymena 77th regiment of foot
« on: Sunday 12 April 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
I have been researching James Levingstone via his army records. Born Craigs Ballymena 1836, but have been unable to trace via county records. He served in 77th regiment of foot (No 2956) in the Crimea - medically dischanged 15 June 1857 pulmonary consumption. Have been unable to confirm how he came to Australia, although one relative said 'he arrived with the 77th and stayed'. Have been unable to confirm.

There is another James Livingstone, also born Craigs Ballymena 1836 ages and desriptions appear to match fairly closely. Joined 2ndBat 14th Regiment of Foot (No 464) in June 1858. Also discharged with 'pulmonary consumption' September 1859. He served in Crimea etc etc, and periods of service correlate the second mentioning his service in the Crimea, so it does appear to be the same person, but I have been unable to verify or how (either) came to Australia or whether it is one and the same.

He married here (Australia) in 1863 to Madge (Magy Mary Gallagher) from Clohaneely Donegal who came 1859, via the Sapphire, Donegal relief fund. They already had two children by time of wedding in the Oberon district of central west NSW.

Any avenues greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Patsy Luckie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Levingstone Craigs Ballymena 77th regiment of foot
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 09:46 BST (UK) »
You've posted in Antrim Resources (which is not for queries) and that might be why there have been no replies yet. Just click on 'report to moderator' and ask for the topic to be moved to main Antrim board.

Does Australian marriage or death certificate give parents' names? 

Fragments of the 1851 census for Co. Antrim survive and Craigs is there-
http://www.ulsterancestry.com/ShowFreePage.php?id=171

Moderator comment - topic moved.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 April 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
There is a note on the record for James 2956 which looks to possibly say that he served for 3 months more from 15/6/58, so this would tie him with your '2nd' James. Could it have been September 1858 rather than 1859 on the '2nd' James' record?

Trust you are also aware of this researcher:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=27838
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Patsy Luckie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
To Scotmum Re: James Levingstone Craigs Ballymena 77th regiment of foot
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply - at least that problem solved that the two service records James Levingstone (weaver)  and James Livingstone (baker) born 1836 Craigs Ballymena are one and the same - your observation re the '3 months' extra led me to this. He actually did serve until September 1859.
Solves one mystery for me, that he did not come with the 77th regiment in 1857. By the way the TROVE researcher is me - it is a wonderful resource (including digitised newspapers) at our Australian National Library

Your response much appreciated.

Patsy Luckie

Offline Patsy Luckie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
To aghadowey Re: James Levingstone Craigs Ballymena 77th regiment of foot
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 May 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for putting me right about being on the wrong forum. Unfortunately James (Levingstone/Livingstone) doesn't have any parents on marriage cert, and 'unknown' on his death certificate.

Prior to joining the army James 'worked as a linen weaver in Ireland and later for Andrew Carnegie in Dumferline in Scotland...remembered well working on the table linen which was being made for the first great exhibition at the Crystal Palace, and making a shirt front for the Prince Consort'. This from an interview in the late 1800s by William Folster. 

Obviously I would love to try and trace him, but did not appear to be any Levingstone's and the Livingstone on the link to the census not the 'right age' - in 1851 he would have been 15.

I really appreciate your help.

Patsy Luckie

Patsy Luckie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 May 15 11:05 BST (UK) »
So disappointing that you weren't able to get the parents from the certificates as that would have been a great help in tracing the family here in Antrim.

It could be that James was born in Craigs Parish as he stated but the family moved before 1851, James was old enough at that time to be working away from home, etc.

The Scottish link is interesting. Have you tried searching for him in census records there? perhaps other members of his family went to Scotland and settled in the same area.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Patsy Luckie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 May 15 01:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks again - I will do some Scottish research - interesting in that on most of the birth certificates for his children (he had 11) he said he was born in Scotland...but according to the army records it was Craigs Ballymena.

In that newspaper interview I quote he did say he was born in Dublin in 1824 which is way off the mark, he was probably in his early 70s when he was interviewed - he does quote his Crimean war service with the 77th, but says he came to Australia with the 77th, however he was discharged just before they left -  I was unable to find any verification of him arriving with the 77th (there is some incorrect info on an Australian site, but have been unable to get it changed - and it was undoubtedly him in the 2/14th the following year.

Ah the mysteries.

Patsy

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 May 15 17:46 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census survival for Craigs only covers the part of the parish in the Barony of Kilconway. Two thirds of the parish is in the Barony of Toome Lower, so the family not being in the surviving census does not exclude them living in Craigs in 1851.

Offline Patsy Luckie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 01:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your reply. So intriguing trying to fit the pieces, but sadly knowing you will never find them all. Just would love to know how he came to Australia!

I'm trying to put together a little about his early life and that of the woman he married Mary (Magy, Madge) Gallagher who was one of the women on the Sapphire who came as part of the Donegal Relief Fund in 1859. We did visit Ireland briefly in 2008 and although I tried to trace her around Donegal - was not aware at that stage he was from Ballymena because  I had believed he was born in Scotland and had not begun 'serious' research. Finding the old newpaper interview gave me the clues re the 77th Regiment which led to the details re Craigs.

I do appreciate the help.

Kind regards

Patsy