Author Topic: Heaton Lodge - anyone have a photo?  (Read 5898 times)

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
Heaton Lodge - anyone have a photo?
« on: Sunday 12 April 15 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been researching the old house which existed in the grounds of where the new build I grew up in and would love to see a photo of the old house if anyone has one.  The old house was Heaton Lodge  on Didsbury Road, Heaton Mersey, Stockport (although back in the day, this was Heaton Norris, Lancashire).  I believe it was demolished around about 1966.  The surrounding old houses would be of interest also - Mount Heaton, Mersey Bank House, West Bank, Highfield House and Parrs Mount.

The new estate (built 1968) is Lodge Court. 

Many thanks

Sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heaton Lodge - anyone have a photo?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 15 14:00 BST (UK) »
The slim volume entitled "Heaton Mersey - A Victorian Village, 1851-1881" may be of interest to you although I don't think any of the properties have there photographs in it.

Isn't Highfield House still there? I think it is although it did have a bad case of dry rot the last time I was in the place!

Other than that, your best bet would be to wade through the Stockport Image Archive" to see what they have - oh, and get hold of a copy of "There's No'one Quite Like Grandma" as St Winnifred's School is just next door.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 15 14:11 BST (UK) »
Isn't Highfield House still there? I think it is although it did have a bad case of dry rot the last time I was in the place!

See http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=17&lat=53.4134&lon=-2.1976&layers=171&right=BingHyb which shows the old OS map and the current aerial view side by side.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 April 15 14:15 BST (UK) »
Is this Highfield House https://goo.gl/maps/rb2Uw

Stan

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 April 15 16:07 BST (UK) »
There's a photo of Highfield House and one of West Bank on the Stockport Image Archive.
You can order copies of the prints if you want them.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f4s/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 April 15 16:21 BST (UK) »
The photo of Highfield House at  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f4t/  confirms it is the same house at https://goo.gl/maps/rb2Uw

Stan

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 April 15 07:58 BST (UK) »
thanks all for these - some of these facilities I didn't know about so it was very enlightening!  I searched the Stockport archives but no pictures of Heaton Lodge, although some very interesting images of surrounding areas

sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline Ian Lynch

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 February 17 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi are you still interested in photo's of Heaton Lodge, I have several taken when I lived there in the early 1960's as a child. They are family photographs so my parents and I are in them but they show the house and grounds clearly also some are taken of the people who worked for the Tylecote Family owners of the house. I will just post one for now however it is my mother & I taken on the lawn in front of the house.

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 February 17 08:06 GMT (UK) »
that is lovely Ian - thank you so much.  It is a really good insight as to what the house looked like

sallysmum
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn