Author Topic: Scotlands People  (Read 3437 times)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scotlands People
« on: Sunday 12 April 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
I am not familiar with Scotlands People, so when I did a search for a birth between 1892 and 1897 in Glasgow, it states there are 21 and all on one page.  If I use the credit and see this page, can anyone tell me what I will see  ie. will I see mothers maiden name of child?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlands People
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 15 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi the search will only give you the district where they were born and the year have you found them in any of the census forms

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 15 13:38 BST (UK) »
Perhaps if you post the name you are looking for we might be able to help and with the parent's names you could find a possible marriage to see what area they were in and narrow it down from there

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 April 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
I have the parents marriage in 1891 and also of their first son also in 1891, so will check on those papers.  In the 1891 census records in Glasgow, there is only the mother listed, using her husbands surname, although they were not married by then.  Not sure where her intended husband was as he was a Marine Engineer and could have been at sea.
In 1901 the family are in Aberdeen, along with their two sons now. Not sure how accurate the census was, as it states that the second son I am researching is older then the one born in 1891. For several years now I have been trying to find the birth of a James Sutherland born approx. 1887 in Glasgow, but looking again at a photo I have of these two sons with their father, James looks the younger of the two so decided to search for his birth between 1892 and 1897 because he served in the 1st world war, as the photo shows.  I hope this doesn't sound long winded.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 April 15 14:35 BST (UK) »
Is that the photo of them on Ancestry with the mother's name as Jane Reid ?

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 April 15 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessie

If you use the one credit you should see all 21 on the page.
it certainly worked that way for me, but I was searching 18th century birth/baptisms.  Whether the later ones are any different I can't say, unless I look into all the searches I've made.

On the page of 25 that I am looking at it gives the child's name, the date, parish and city/county and, most importantly to answer your query, the names of both parents, so yes, the maiden name of the mother.

Susan

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 April 15 14:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both, yes that is the photo on Ancestry, father with his two sons

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 April 15 14:53 BST (UK) »
The statutory index for births does not name parents -

Index entries do not include:
1.   The full date of an event because only the year was captured when the index was compiled, although it is present on actual register entries.
2.   Parents’ names, but these are present on register entries.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&624

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 April 15 15:06 BST (UK) »
So, those after 1855 don't have the same information as pre-1855 births?  I did say that I didn't know. 
My searches in Scotland have mainly been much earlier, before the ancestors moved down to England, with only the occasional one nipping back over the border.