Author Topic: STEIL/STEEL Robert - baptism information query  (Read 4406 times)

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
STEIL/STEEL Robert - baptism information query
« on: Sunday 12 April 15 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have found two baptisms for Robert Steil (Steel) in Aberdeen, the one below states something in brackets after the name given, it looks to me like "born" and then another word, can anyone decipher?

Many thanks
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
Scotland - Barnes, McKillen, Kean, Ross, Steel
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STEIL/STEEL Robert - baptism information query
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 15 17:11 BST (UK) »
I think it's the date of his birth, (the month being abbreviated) but cannot say for sure what date it is!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 15 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
Now you have said that, it does like the date (december) in the left of the page!! I was hoping that one of them was a still born (morbid I know), as I have two Roberts born to a William, one 1778, one 1781. Mother not given for either.
Many thanks
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 April 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Looks like Decr. (december) 7th to me.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 April 15 17:25 BST (UK) »
Is it normal for a child to be baptised on the day it was born?
Many thanks

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 April 15 17:41 BST (UK) »
No - only if the child has been given little chance of survival.

I have some registrations where the child is born/baptized same day then marked "now dead" over the entry. 

Common practice was if one dies the next born of that sex would be given its name which answers why 1778/1781 births unless of course these are two different families.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 April 15 17:46 BST (UK) »
No - only if the child has been given little chance of survival.

I have some registrations where the child is born/baptized same day then marked "now dead" over the entry. 

Common practice was if one dies the next born of that sex would be given its name which answers why 1778/1781 births unless of course these are two different families.

Don

The only trouble is that this is the younger Robert baptised 1781. I am not sure how big Monquitter is/was then. But this birth was witnessed by James Lumsden who I think is the maternal grandfather.

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 April 15 19:02 BST (UK) »
Looks like it's the birth date - Decr 7.

A baptism in Scotland did not have to take place in the kirk. The minister sometimes travelled to the parent's home to conduct baptisms and marriages (which wasn't the case in England). If a baby was baptised on the same day as the birth, it could well be that the minister happened to be in the area so duly obliged. They did tend to have babies baptised fairly quickly back then - often within the first week. So if this was the baptism entry for the second Robert it doesn't have to mean he died soon after.

Due to following the SCottish naming pattern, in which children were named for specific family members, the death of a child meant the same name would be used for the next child born of the same gender. It was very common practice in order to keep the family names going.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 April 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
7th December 1778 was a Monday. 7th December 1781 was a Thursday, so it is most likely (as usual) that the baptism was at home. Cuminestown was not very large then (it still isn't) and the parish kirk and manse for Monquhitter and the parish school were there, meaning that the minister and schoolmaster (who was session clerk) were both at hand.