Author Topic: URR Parish Kirk Session records  (Read 3111 times)

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
URR Parish Kirk Session records
« on: Sunday 12 April 15 20:36 BST (UK) »
I am continuing to try and break down my brick wall regarding my 2x great grandparents William Shaw and Margaret Watt, who were married at Urr around 18 May 1837.  All the OPR entry states is that they were 'of this parish'. 

According to the OPR entry for the birth of my Great Grandfather John Shaw, he was born 9 April 1837, over a month before his parents married, and was baptised 29 January 1838 at Urr.  It mentions Springholm in the entry.

Does anyone have access to the Kirk Session records for Urr for that period.  I am hoping they are mentioned as his parents were not married and may mention where the parents are residing as my great grandfather was born out of wedlock.

The names of William and Margaret's parents appear to be incorrect (obtained from Death entries) as I can find no matches.  Other possible lines of enquiry have led nowhere.

I have even tried to trace possible siblings to William and Margaret - again without success.

I cannot seem to think of anything else.

Thanks

Tom

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: URR Parish Kirk Session records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
Have you found the family in the various censuses?

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: URR Parish Kirk Session records
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 15 21:28 BST (UK) »
For William and Margaret from 1841 onwards till their death in the 1880's.  By 1841 the family had moved to Awoth Parish and then to Girthon parish, where they died. 

William and Margaret had a daughter Sarah, born 1839 in Urr. By October 1840 they were at Anwoth when the 3rd child Jessie was born.

In most census returns William has his birth place as Kells, Kirkcudbrightshire.  One entry is a not known Kirkcudbrightshire, and one for Kirkcudbright itself.  Margaret has her place of birth as Anwoth in all census returns.  William's occupation was an Ag. Lab.

The names of parents for William are given as John Shaw and Sarah Sloan.  For Margaret it is a John Watt and ? Maxwell.  I have tried researching all possibles on these names but nothink matches.  The informant of William and Margaret's deaths was their son John (my great grandfather)

Tom