Author Topic: George Hodgkinson of Ashover  (Read 6735 times)

Offline darib

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Hodgkinson of Ashover
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 March 17 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marp and MalcomH, George Hodgkinson of Ashover is my 8 x Great grandfather. I am descended through his son Edmond (Edmund) 1667-1748 and Anne Nightingale 1676-1767. Although I am in Aust. I have travelled to Ashover 4 times, and my next visit is this Sept. I was quite interested to read that George H may have actually come from Tideswell ( where by chance we have already booked into a B & B !!) I am interested in the fact that the Hodgkinsons may be connected to Sir Joseph Banks as his family name was originally Hodgkinsons, until changed because of an inheritance. Bearing in mind that Banks did have a home at Ashover (Overton Hall) I would love to learn more about the Hodgkinsons of Ashover. Thank you

Offline RCullen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am also a descendent of George Hodgkinson of Hatch Leys farm.  There were a lot of George Hodgkinsons around at the time - so very confusing!  From my research this George (1623-1688) is son of Edward Hodgkinson (abt. 1600-1662) also of Hatch Leys, whose cousin George Hodgkinson of Dicklant mentions them both in a will.  George of Hatch Leys was married to an Elizabeth ( not Barker), but unclear what her surname is.  George Hodgkinson of 'Ashover' may be yet another of the same name who did marry an Eliz. Barker in 1663 and appears to have died in 1684.  From what I can gather Edward's father was George Hodgkinson b. 1575 but unclear if he too was born at Hatch Leys, he may have been related to the Richard Hodgkinson b. 1523 who bought Overton Hall but I suspect not his son. Would love any further info. R C.

Offline darib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your information. Yes it is very confusing when there are so many "Georges" with the same surname. All I know, from the records I have from Ashover Parish, I am descended from Edmund (Edmond ?) Hodgkinson 1667-1748 and Anne Nightingale  1676-1767. Their daughter Elizabeth married a James Milnes, and my 3 x Great Grandmother was descended from them. There are various spellings of the surname Milnes which also makes things a bit difficult. Sometimes they are Milns, and various other spellings.