Author Topic: George Hodgkinson of Ashover  (Read 6705 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
George Hodgkinson of Ashover
« on: Monday 13 April 15 02:04 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to Ashover marriage records?   I have a George Hodgkinson married to Elizabeth Barker in Ashover on Feb 11  1663.  Is this correct? The Derbyshire Marriage Index implies that George was not from the parish of Ashover (if so where).   

The Hodgkinsons are fairly confusing as there is also George Hodgkinson of Overton Hall who married Anne (?).  However, I believe that this George Hodgkinson  who married Elizabeth was the one who was on Hatch Leys farm which he  sold to George Hodgkinson of Overton in 1670.

Any help in sorting out this family would be appreciated.
marp

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Hodgkinson of Ashover
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 April 15 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Marp

The Derbyshire Marriage Index states George was from Wormhill parish of Tidsall (Tideswell)

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Carol.  I think I may have located Elizabeth Barker of Tideswell who married  George Hodgkinson in Ashover on Feb 11, 1663.   Elizabeth was the daughter of Peter Barker and christened on 20 October 1644 at Tideswell.

George and Elizabeth lived at Hatch Leys farm in Ashover.

However, this still leaves me wondering about the origins of George Hopkinson  - I simply cannot find a birth date, place of birth or parents - nothing.  I have had a good look at the Tideswell records will no success.

Any help would be appreciated.

marp

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 12:46 BST (UK) »
There are several baptisms to George & Elizabeth Hodgkinson before their marriage date, so may have been two couples around at the same time or had he been married before.  It can't be the Elizabeth born 1644 as this would make her only 10 years old when she had her first child

Rebecca 20.2. 1654
Edward 9.11. 1654
Joseph 18.9.1659
Anne 13.3.1662

George 8.10.1664
Edmond 16.7. 1667
William 15.4. 1673

All baptised to George & Elizabeth abode Ashover.  Only the baptism for William gives abode Hatchlees

Carol

Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MalcolmH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 15 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Marp
George Hodgkinson  of Hatch Leys  farm is my 8x great -grandfather through his son Joseph (bpd 1659, Ashover).  I have been informed in the past, but I forget by whom, that some of the early records for that part of Derbyshire were lost/ destroyed and have not pursued looking earlier than 1623  (George's birth).  I have other info. on George but have pressing business right now so will add later.
Regards
  MalcolmH

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Derbyshire Record Office has the following records for Ashover:-

reference D253 deposited registers Bap 1621-1623, 1653-1925 Mar 1653-1998 Burials 1653-1668, 1671-1990 Banns 1653-1661, 1823-1904, 1952-1972

Litchfield Record Office has Bishops Transcripts:-

Bap 1667-1853 Mar 1667-1845 Burials 1667-1853

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline MalcolmH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 April 15 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Marp
Apologies for the delay.  Bulmer's History of Derbyshire of 1895 (on Ashover)  mentions that "The earliest registers were burned by Cromwell's soldiers in 1646"  You can find an extract at www.ashover.org/bulmer1.htm.  The paragraph is a little more than half way down the page.  The rest of the para. has an interesting reference to a George Hodgkinson - though whether it is "our" George or not is a matter for conjecture.
Regards
  Malcolm H

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 April 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Marp.

When George H marries he is  of Wormhill parish of Tidsall (Tideswell) this is not an
indication as to where he was born just that he was living in that parish at the date of his marriage.

Have you discounted he following:-

George Hodgkinson christened 27th July 1641 Great Longstone son of Anthony Hodgkinson.
On familysearch there is an image of the register, it is on the right hand page, 7 up from the bottom.

It is about 3 miles from villages of  Great Longstone to Tideswell.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information on George Hodgkinson.   I have done a little work on his children and have a transcript of his son Edmund's ( 1667- 1748)  will which makes interesting reading.

However, I am still having trouble going back a generation.   Yes, I do understand that the parish in which someone is living is not necessarily where they are born.

Any more information on the Hodgkinsons of Hatchleys farm would be much appreciated.

Thanks, marp