Author Topic: Michael Noy HELP- here we go again  (Read 15546 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Noy HELP- here we go again
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 08:07 BST (UK) »
May I mention that “Native of the Colony” indicates only that Elizabeth Dodds was BORN in the colony.  It does not indicate her ‘ethnicity’.

Elizabeth's grandfather and Great grandmother were convicts, which explains the account of her being 'native of the Colony' (Born there)

:)  :) There's of course plenty of people born in the colony who were not children of convicts  ;D .... and not children of former convicts who had been emancipated.   There's children of those in the garrison forces; there's children of those free settlers who came of their own accord; there's children of those crew who jumped ship, and significantly, there's children whose parents heritage gives generations and generations and generations of families living on this continent.   :)   

There's a number of baptisms in the Early Church Records which, even with a quick glance at the index, you easily see the Indigenous heritage, as the NSW BDM index has the family name and/or given name as Aboriginal.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
  • Fairlie- The convict ship Michael Noy travelled on
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 08:14 BST (UK) »
Gerry just emailed the records to me and it appears the Walter Noy and Michael did not die on the same day. Walter died age 86 on the 26th of June 1847 and was buried a day later. Michael died the 23rd of September 1847 and was buried 2 days later.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

That is the correct marriage I found a record on the pre 1857 films.  Michael had approval to get married from the Governor and Elizabeth from her father John Dodds.  Both were from the Richmond Parish.

Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 08:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gerry  :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 08:56 BST (UK) »
I emailed a local genealogist in Hawkerbury regarding Michael's final resting spot and..

"Unfortunately Michael Noy is not recorded in the headstone transcriptions for St Peters Anglican Cemetery in Richmond. So although he may be buried there, he does not have a surviving headstone nor may never have had one. This means that you will not be able to locate the exact spot of where he was buried, as these records do not exist."

and there is no entry of him in the book 'St Peters Richmond the early people and burials 1791-1855' by Yvonne Browning. But his wife is buried there with her 2nd husband Hugh Lord McKay.

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 22:17 BST (UK) »
So is there no way possible i can find his final resting place?

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 02 July 15 02:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Maybe he just didn't make the burial book for some reason.

We do know that the burial for Michael Noy of Richmond Bottoms was conducted by John Elder on 25th September 1847 and what would be interesting is to see if others buried around that date with services conducted by John Elder made it into the St Peter's burial book.

Isabella Stewart of Kurrajong, buried 16th September 1847.
William John Stevenson of Richmond Bottoms, buried 15th September 1847.
Henry Laws of Richmond, alias Monk, buried 15th August 1847.
John Fawcett of Richmond, buried 30th September 1847.

Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 02 July 15 02:49 BST (UK) »
Rev John ELDER was buried at St Peter's, Richmond in Jan 1879.  He was actually ordained in NSW, and was the son of a missionary.   He was at Richmond and Kurrajong 1 Oct 1845-30 Sept 1873, (with Rev Joseph Kidd WALPOLE until 1848 ..... this was the Rev who married Michael and Elizabeth NOY). 

Cheers,  JM

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 02 July 15 04:29 BST (UK) »
I am currently waiting on records regarding Michael and they should arrive tomorrow or after the weekend. I will let you all know if they hold any new information when they arrive.