Author Topic: Connection between Goodger/ Goodyer and Cooper Fittleworth area  (Read 1963 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Connection between Goodger/ Goodyer and Cooper Fittleworth area
« on: Monday 13 April 15 11:01 BST (UK) »
Richard Goodyer / Goodger was baptised 18 Feb 1787 in Coates cum Burton. He married Mary Neale in Fittleworth on 10 Dec 1831. As they were quite old when they married, there may have been a previous marriage. I have found Richard and Mary on 1841 and 1851 censuses. Richard died in 1860. On 1861 census Mary has as a companion her niece Fanny Cooper born abt 1839 Petworth. Fanny is the daughter of Edward Cooper and Jane Frances Cragg who married at Petworth on 3 May 1831. Edward Cooper is the executor of Richard's will, this Edward is probably Fanny's father.
Edward was born abt 1806 in Kirdford and Jane Frances abt 1809 in Petworth. Mary Neale was born abt 1785 in Fittleworth.

I am trying to find how Richard is actually related to the Coopers, I can't see that Fanny is actually his or Mary's niece. 

Has anyone any ideas?

Previous post about Richard's parents. I have details of baptisms of his siblings, but not marriages (if they did marry) of his sisters Elizabeth and Mary.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=718097.msg5618208#msg5618208
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Connection between Goodger/ Goodyer and Cooper Fittleworth area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 April 15 11:48 BST (UK) »
Could the connection be through Mary Neale and Jane Frances Cragg (who married Edward Cooper?)

Jane Frances Cragg was the daughter of Joseph Cragg and Nancy Neal????

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 April 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
Yes that could be it. I'll look into that relationship. I was too focused on the connection being through the Goody(g)ers and hoping it would lead to Richard's father's origins. I have since found that the other executor of Richard's will was George Goodyer of Coldwaltham who is described as nephew. This George is the son of Richard's brother William and is living in Coldwaltham in 1861. So he's definitely a nephew.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 April 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
... and it seems Nancy Neal was b Fittleworth

Petworth
Joseph Cragg Head M 70 Tailor Horsham Sussex
NANCY wife 70 Fittleworth Sussex
Anne E Arthur grandaughter 8 Sussex
 plus House Servant
HO107 1649 288

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 15 12:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks, just started looking on the census but you beat me to it. Familysearch has several children bapt in Fittleworth to Robert and Ann Neal(e). The bapt dates of daughters Nancy and Mary fit with Nancy Cragg and Mary Goodyer's ages on 1851 censusues. So it looks like they're sisters, which makes Fanny actually a great niece of Mary (Neale) Goodyer. And Fanny's father would be Richard Goodyer's nephew by marriage. So it looks like they'r sorted out

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 April 15 12:11 BST (UK) »
Great when it all comes together

Suz