Author Topic: 1861 Census - John Dixon of Long Horsley / Cowpen  (Read 2299 times)

Offline bsward

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1861 Census - John Dixon of Long Horsley / Cowpen
« on: Monday 13 April 15 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Any help locating a John Dixon in the 1861 census would be appreciated.
I cannot find his marriage record. The 1911 census suggests he was married in 1860, but his first child is born mid-1860s. If I can find him in the 1861 census then that should help with identifying the correct marriage record or even his partner's maiden name.

John Dixon was baptised in 1835, in Long Horsley. His parents were Robert Dixon and Mary Young (confirmed).

I have identified 1841, 1851, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 records.

Census records:

John Dixon was employed as a coal miner

1841: Born 1835; Northumberland. Living with parents; Robert Dixon and Mary Young. Residing in Long Horsley, Northumberland
1851: Born 1836; Long Horsley, Northumberland. Living with parents; Robert Dixon and Mary Young. Residing in Cowpen, Northumberland
1871: Born 1836; Long Horsley, Northumberland. Living with wife, Ann, and children John Walter Dixon (aged 5) and Margaret Ann Dixon (aged 2). Residing in Cowpen, Northumberland
1881: Born 1836; Long Horsley, Northumberland. Living with wife, Ann, and children John Walter Dixon, Margaret Ann Dixon, Mary Jane Dixon (aged 9) and Elizabeth Eleanor Dixon (aged 7). Residing in Whitley, Northumberland
1891: Born 1836; Long Horsley, Northumberland. Living with wife, Ann, and child John Walter Dixon. Residing in Cowpen, Northumberland
1901: Born 1836; Long Horsley, Northumberland. Living with wife, Ann, and child John Walter Dixon. Residing in Cowpen, Northumberland

1911: Born 1836; Long Horsley, Northumberland. Living with wife, Ann Dixon. Residing in Cowpen, Northumberland. Married for 51 years. Their 1911 return was incorrectly completed - they also provided the details for all their children and then crossed those out. They remain legible, however.

The 1911 confirms their children to be:
  • John Walter Dixon, age 43, married, dead, born at Tyne Docks, Co Durhamv
  • Margret Ann Dixon, age 35, married, dead, born at Tyne Docks, Co Durham
  • Mary Jane Dixon, age 39, married, born at Newsham, Northumberland
  • Elizabeth Eleanor Dixon, age 37, married, born at Burradon, Northumberland
  • Stephen Henderson Dixon, age 1, single, Born at Burradon, Northumberland
Either Mary Jane or Stephen Henderson was also dead at the time of the 1911 census (3 dead, 2 alive of children).

Thanks,

Ben

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census - John Dixon of Long Horsley / Cowpen
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 April 15 13:56 BST (UK) »
The birth certificate for one of his children would give you Ann's maiden name  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judi2632

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 April 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
1861...Living at the Fox and Hounds, Rothbury

Margaret Jackson 49 Unmarried  Inn Keeper Head Longhorsley, Northumberland, England
John Dixon   26 Nephew School Master , Transcribed as Longhorsley, Northumberland, England
Ann Dixon   23 Niece Unmarried Dref Maker ,,Longhorsley, Northumberland, England
Thomas Dixon 40 Lodger Shoe Maker Unmarried ..Longhorsley, Northumberland, England

Piece: 3895
 Folio: 64
 Page: 6
Gaskell, Ormskirk, Upholland, Pemberton, Lancashire
Screeton/Screaton, Nottingham
Lomax Suffolk, Lancashire
Ghilks, Mansfield
Jones, Wales
Banham, Norwich
Rothwell, Lancashire
Tinks, Suffolk
Shepherd, Lancashire

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 April 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
1861...Living at the Fox and Hounds, Rothbury

Margaret Jackson 49 Unmarried  Inn Keeper Head Longhorsley, Northumberland, England
John Dixon   26 Nephew School Master , Transcribed as Longhorsley, Northumberland, England
Ann Dixon   23 Niece Unmarried Dref Maker ,,Longhorsley, Northumberland, England
Thomas Dixon 40 Lodger Shoe Maker Unmarried ..Longhorsley, Northumberland, England

Piece: 3895
 Folio: 64
 Page: 6

But the John Dixon bsward is looking for was a coal miner in 1851 and 1871  :-\ Is he likely to be a schoolmaster in 1861  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bsward

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 15 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks JenB and judi2632.

JenB - I think I might have to get that. I always prefer to avoid ordering BMDs due to cost but I might need to give in here!

judi2632 - I had found that record, but I'm not confident they're the same John. Yes, they're born at the same time and place, but, there are two John Dixon's born at Long Horsley in 1834/35. It surprises me that this John might go from being a coal miner in 1851 to school master in 1861 and then back to coal miner in 1871! They would both be nephews of Margaret Jackson too.

Edit: JenB posted while I was typing this. I concur (though I have little evidence on whether such career changes did actually occur!).