Author Topic: Where's Kingston Parish, near Portsea?  (Read 2307 times)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where's Kingston Parish, near Portsea?
« on: Monday 13 April 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I've been looking at the Will of an ancestor dated 1824 who had 'Freehold Messuage or Tenement situate lying and being in Duncan Street in the parish of Kingston in the County of Southampton" and am trying to find where it was.  At the beginning of the will it says he is from the Parish of Kingston in Duncan Street near the town of Portsea in the County of Southampton.  I can't find anything on modern or old maps so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.  There is a Duncan Road in Southsea, might that be Duncan Street in a more modern reincarnation?

I'd be grateful for any help you can give, many thanks!
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where's Kingston Parish, near Portsea?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 April 15 14:07 BST (UK) »
GenUKI has the answer!

http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/gazplace?GR=SU656013,PLACE=KINGSTON,CCC=HAM

The National Gazetteer (1868) says of Portsmouth:
PORTSMOUTH, a parish and a municipal and parliamentary borough, seaport, market, and garrison town in Portsdown hundred, in the southern division of the county of Hants, 26 miles S.E. of Southampton, and 28 S. by E. of Winchester. The borough includes Portsmouth, Portsea, Landport, Southsea, and Kingston, all of which are situated on Portsea Island, between Portsmouth harbour on the W., and Langston harbour on the E.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 April 15 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that!  I'd looked on GenUKI but obviously not very thoroughly!  I think Duncan Road in Southsea is probably not connected then as they're about 2.5 miles apart.  Are there any lists of road name changes over the years available for this area?

Thanks again for your help!
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 April 15 15:16 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the same Duncan Street, as it seems to come more under Landport, but maybe a local expert may confirm.

There was a Duncan Street just south west of St.Agatha's Church - which still exists, NW of the Cascades shopping centre. Duncan Street itself being situated where the junction of the A3 and Cascades Approach roughly is now.

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 15 16:28 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant!  Very helpful thank you ReadyDale!
Heather