Author Topic: Geary Family, Northchurch.  (Read 2090 times)

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Geary Family, Northchurch.
« on: Monday 13 April 15 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have two William Gearys born to brothers Jeremiah & Daniel Geary in Northchurch,Herts. The first William was born to Daniel Geary & Charlotte Norris in 1796 & was baptised 17/07/1796 & the second was born to Jeremiah Geary & Caroline Twitchell in 1797. One of these Williams married Sarah Aldridge 29/10/1827 in Hawridge,Bucks. I have the marriage record but it does not give the name of the father of the groom. I am trying to establish which William married Sarah. The names of the witnesses do not help. Can anyone help me out?

Regards

Coreen

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Geary Family, Northchurch.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 April 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
Always tricky when there are two people with same name born on same place at same time!

Some ideas:
Did both make it to census era - if so did either have any helpful siblings or aged parents living with them at any time?
Did either Daniel or Jeremiah leave a will - mentioning their son William with any helpful additons like his wife's name or where he was living? Or grandchildrens names, that you can then relate to either of the Williams?
I think you are going to have to find out all you can about both Williams until you get something that indicates which is yours, or rules one of them out. Maybe something simple like an infant death of one would be the easiest!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Geary Family, Northchurch.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 April 15 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for replying. Although I have been unable to trace an infant death, only one of the William Gearys in question seem to have made it to the 1841 census. I cannot actually trace the surviving William in 1841 but his wife,Sarah, b 1806,is living in Hawridge,Bucks with children,Maria,aged 10,Joseph,aged 7 & George,aged 1. I have traced both William & Sarah in 1851,1861 & 1871 living in Hawridge,Bucks. William died in 1873 & Sarah in 1874.  Unfortunately no siblings or parents are mentioned in any of the census records.

I have not been able to trace a will for either Daniel (died 1828) or Jeremiah (died 12/02/1837). William & Sarah's children were named: Maria,Joseph,George & James. From HALS parish records I know that Jeremiah & Caroline had children named Maria & James,so I am just about leaning towards the correct William being the son of Jeremiah (although this is a fairly tenuous link). 

Maybe if I ordered the D/C for possible mother,Caroline,who died in 1844, it would give the informant as son,William or daughter-in-law,Sarah  - but then again probably not - that would just be too easy!. 

Regards

Coreen