Author Topic: Sarah and Esther Roots in 1841 Census  (Read 2144 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Sarah and Esther Roots in 1841 Census
« on: Monday 13 April 15 20:31 BST (UK) »
Evening

Following on from this post, http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=387554.msg2592323#msg2592323 , I believe I have found the death certificate of my ancestor Sarah Roots (nee Palmer, c.1789 Rainham), who appears to have died in 1847.

The information on the certificate looks promising. The place of death, St Peters Street Maidstone, was where her daughter Mary Davenport was living at the time and the occupation column lists her as the widow of John Roots, labourer which is correct. The age at death, 64, is out by six years but given the rough life she had, she may have lied about her age.

The informant on the death certificate is not her daughter Mary, but an Esther Roots who was living at nearby Pudding Lane, Maidstone. The relationship between Sarah and Esther is unknown at present, (daughter, daughter-in-law?).

I went forward to the 1851 Maidstone census and looked at the entries for Pudding Lane hoping that Esther was still there but she doesn't appear to be. I then tried to look for both Sarah and Esther in the 1841 census but am not having much luck.

Can anyone help me find either of these two women in the 1841 census please?

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah and Esther Roots in 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 April 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
There is an Esther Roots age 45 in 1841 West Malling Kent. 

She appears to be wife of William Roots 45 and there are 6 youngsters ranging from 15 down to 3 months.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 April 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

That Esther can be found in the 1851 census (and 1861 census), still living with her husband in West Malling. Its unlikely this Esther is the one on the death certificate :(

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 10:57 BST (UK) »
Yes I think you're right  :(

There was another one in Kent but she was much younger - will post anyway.

William Roots 45
Sarah 40
Sarah 15
James 15
William 14
Steven 11
Esther 11

Add is Seal Street Seal Kent.

Worth checking under Hester spelling as well  :)

Added that one is 4 not 11  :(  baptised 1837 and she is with parents age 14 in 1851 Seal.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 08:38 BST (UK) »
Morning

I've been through the census records again but still cannot find Esther. I've also found that there only a handful or Esther/Hester Root(s) listed in the civil registration indexes, none of which seem to tie up with the individual on the death certificate.

I do have a theory that Esther is another of Sarah's illegitimate children but without a baptism record its all circumstantial:

Palmer/Roots Timeline

1789 - Sarah Palmer born at Rainham
1804 - James Palmer, son of Sarah born at Rainham (believed to be living in Strood/Frindsbury area in 1841-1851 census')
1812 - Elizabeth Frances Palmer, born at Rainham (believed to be daughter of John Roots, no further information on her)
1812 - John Roots & Sarah Palmer marry at Rainham. John is said to be from Addington
1815 - Thomas Roots born at Addington, son of Sarah (no further information on him)

Theres a gap until:

1822 - Mary Roots, my ancestor, born at Rainham/Hadlow. Source comes from Mid-Kent Poor Law records from KFHS "Sarah Roots, beggar?, wanderer?, daughter of John and Nancy Palmer, married to John Roots, deceased, with female bastard child bn 26 Feb 1822, from Rainham. 16 Apr 1822"

Then theres another gap until the above death certificate issued in 1847. However I found the following records at Biddenden:

1829 - Margaret Sarah Roots baptised, daughter of Sarah. Margaret can be found living in Tenterden in 1841 census. She is believed to have married John Sharp in 1848 at Tenterden (transcripts don't list the fathers or witnesses). She may have died in 1849.

1846 - Esther Roots baptised, daughter of Esther (single woman). No further information on either woman, including no birth certificate for the younger Esther.

It could be the elder Esther above is Sarah's daughter, being born between Thomas & Mary or Mary & Margaret, but again nothing has been found yet to confirm this.

At this rate, it maybe that a lot of hours are going to be spent looking through poor law records to determine Sarah's movements :(

Offline br fireman 62

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hello I have a Sara Roots in my family tree Born 1820 father John and mother Sophia nee Austin.
 I am a direct descendant as my surname is Roots. Is this any help to I wonder as there are lots of different Roots.
             Yours Reg