Author Topic: Mann Family Nairn  (Read 11707 times)

Offline Highandover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mann Family Nairn
« on: Monday 13 April 15 22:19 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on the Manns of Elderslie Place in Nairn?

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Mann Family Nairn
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome To RootsChat

Have you thought of adding your Mann surname to the RootsChat Surname Interests Table - there are lots already -

If you scroll to the bottom of any RootsChat page - you will find Tools and under that heading Surname Interests - click on that and it will explain everything for you.

http://surname.rootschat.com/

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 20:35 BST (UK) »
Often helps to add some key family names/groups and years as this can let people identify family in their own lines  :)

Is this some of the family here?:

Here lie interred the mortal remains of Margaret Wallace the beloved wife of Hugh Mann who died 25th May 1885 and James Wallace their eldest son who died 2nd Sept 1867. To the memory of Alexander David Mann Serg Lt Seaforths youngest son of HW & Mary M Mann killed in action near Cambrai, France on the morning of Nov 20th 1917 aged 23 years. Hugh H Mann who died 21st Oct 1871. Here also lie the mortal remains of Hugh Mann, Shipowner & Wood Merchant, Nairn and for over 60 years, Farmer at Meadowfield, Auldearn who died at Elderslie Place 30th Aug 1894. To the dear memory of Mary McLean beloved wife of H W Mann who died at Elderslie, Nairn 23rd Oct 1936 and their daughter Mary who died at Deal, Kent 15th Dec 1935. Dr Hugh W Mann who died 4th Feb 1940.
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/topics.cemetery.cemeteryphotos/3467.3.1.2/mb.ashx

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annabelnielsen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:13 BST (UK) »
Dr Hugh W Mann of Elderslie Place was my great grandfather.  He was a doctor.  His daughter Elizabeth Hamilton Mann married my grandfather Joseph Sandys English (from Northern Ireland, a gynaecologist).  The had two children, my father Thomas Hugh English (a GP) and my aunt Margaret Isabel Shaw.  I am also interested in finding out more about the Mann family. 

Annabel Nielsen

Offline GaGa Brian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mann Family Scotland to Belfast
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:07 BST (UK) »
My Great great Grand Mother was  Mary Archer (Mann)  who had married Joseph Mann (Glasgow) they moved to Belfast and established a clothes /Pawnbroker business in Belfast . They raised a family of 12 (7 boys  and 5 Girls)
The eldest was John who went to Australia  and Bill (William ) went to Sea   and remained a seaman all through his life. All the boys were educated in St Malachys College Belfast Joseph and Francis both were married ,Frank married Annie Lavery  from King Street and Hollywood Co Down . They also had a linen shop in Castle street in Belfast which was destroyed in an air raid in 1942. Another sister married a Tom Murtagh (Publican) and Kate married Joseph McGennety who worked in an engineering firm in Combe Harbour, while Susan and Elizabeth  didnt Marry.  Joseph lived with Mary at 7 William street south and after his death Susan and Joe  maintained the business. The Girls were all educated in a private school in Arthur street and afterwards at the Mercy convent in Sussex Place.  Their youngest daughter was Mary ( great grand mother) who married  Daniel Lavery who was an only son of the second marriage of  Edmund  Lavery . He had a sister called Margeret. His mother was a Catherine Murphy who was a widow at an early age. Edmund Lavery was a waste Merchant and educated at St Bedes  College Manchester, England and later at Terenure College in Dublin .
Daniel and Mary Lavery had 6 children  Mary Josephine (Dodo) Edmund Benidict(Teddy) Aileen Agnes , Maurice , Margeret Patricia (Patsy), Catherine Agatha. 
Teddy joined the Army and served in the  great war 1914-18 . Patsy married John Herbert Gallagher and had 4 children   Ian ,Maurice,Michael and Patricia . Maurice became a  renowned top  surgeon  in Ireland  he married Deborah Lees  and died in 1962.
  Most of my family connections  are from central Belfast . Please  let me know if any of these connections  relate to your family .

Brian

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 April 17 01:48 BST (UK) »
To save 'Double Trouble'

GaGa Brian has a duplicate post here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770370.new#new

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline annabelnielsen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 April 17 13:45 BST (UK) »
I don't think the Mann family on my side had connections with Belfast.  Thank you for posting the interesting history of your family.  Good luck with your research!

Annabel

Offline Highandover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 April 17 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hello
Thank you for your post.
I think we may share great great grandparents, David Anderson McLean and Mary Hamilton.My mother was Mary McLean born one of twins in 1917. I think your great grandmother's brother James was killed at Cambrai in November 1917. My mother's grandmother was Mary Hamilton. Mary Hamilton's daughter Mary McLean married Huw W Mann. Mary McLean was my mother's Aunt Mary.
I have some family photographs and documents.Was your great grandmother known as Mamie?
These are all Nairn people living in EldersliePlace, Wellington Rd, Albert St and on the Brodie estate.