Author Topic: Mann Family Nairn  (Read 11708 times)

Offline Highandover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mann Family Nairn
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 April 17 14:41 BST (UK) »
 Hello,
Too many Marys.  Thnk our great great grandmother was Elizabeth Hamilton. Sorry my mistake.

Offline annabelnielsen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 April 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
OK - thanks for letting me know. 

Offline Bobcam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 April 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
My mother was Frances Stevenson Campbell nee Mann, (b 1907 d 1969) sister to Elizabeth Hamilton Mann who therefore was my aunt. This year marks the 100th anniversary of Alexander David Mann, my uncle who was killed in action on November 29th 1917. My brother and I went to the cemetery in France a few years ago to pay our respects.
I have a vague recollection of going to aunt Beth's funeral in 1968? in Southampton?
The family home was Elderslie Place and the last surving family member living there I believe was Hugh Mann who died in 1971.
Rob

Offline Bobcam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 May 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
My mother was Frances Stevenson Campbell nee Mann, (b 1907 d 1969) sister to Elizabeth Hamilton Mann who therefore was my aunt.
This year marks the 100th anniversary of Alexander David Mann, brother of Frances and Elizabeth and my uncle who was killed in action on November 29th 1917. My brother and I went to the cemetery in France a few years ago to pay our respects.
I have a vague recollection of going to aunt Beth's funeral in 1968? in Southampton?
The family home was Elderslie Place and the last surviving family member living there I believe was Hugh Mann who died in 1971.

Rob

Offline annabelnielsen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 May 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
How interesting!  I did not know specifically about Alexander David Mann, although I thought there were some deaths of brothers during the war.  I am not sure how many siblings there were.  I have a photograph of 6 members of the Mann family sitting on some steps outside a large building.  I think my grandmother is one of them, and possibly your mother too.  There are 5 girls and one boy.  I also have a photograph of Dr Hugh Mann in about 1931 with my father, then about 4 years old.  I have another one of a possible Dr Mann posing with a penny farthing bicycle which looks like it was taken pre 1900.  If you are interested in seeing these I am happy to post them somehow. Can I do that on this website, or shall I email them to you? 
Kind regards
Annabel Nielsen (nee English)

Offline Highandover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all this information. I have A D Mann's silver dog tags which his mother wore until her death in 1936. How would we get copies of photographs distributed? There are several other interesting items in existence including the reports from Pitcairn Island that Dr Mann produced to comment on the sanity of the Bounty mutineers. I think the Stevenson name comes from ELizabeth Hamilton's mother's family.
There are also pictures of Mary McLean and Hugh Mann and obituaries of several family members.
I would like to obtain some copies of the pictures you describe.
Best wishes
Heather

Offline annabelnielsen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Heather 
I had not heard about Dr Mann's connection with the Pitcairn Islands.  I would be very interested to see any obituaries.
If you give me an email address I can send copies of the photographs I have.  We can then think how to proceed if you would like actual copies.
Best wishes
Annabel

Offline annabelnielsen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 23:33 BST (UK) »
My email is pianopiano1@aol.com

Annabel

Offline Bobcam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 May 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Heather
Wonderful that you've got Alexander David Mann's dog tags. It would be great if you send a photo of them please

Also I'm trying to piece together your ancestors into mine. What was your grand mothers maiden name and husbands name and any dates you have would be very helpful
Many thanks
Rob