Author Topic: Calling Cromwell Descendants...  (Read 2818 times)

Offline NNR

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Calling Cromwell Descendants...
« on: Tuesday 14 April 15 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

As someone who has recently been fortunate enough to trace a connection back to the Cromwells of Oliver etc, I was wondering how much further back other such descendants choose to take the line. Do you stop at Oliver's Great Great Grandfather Morgan as Williams, do you go to his parents William at Yevan and Joan Tudor? Or do you go with Joan's purported father, Jasper Tudor? And if so, do you then follow that through to Jasper's supposed parents, Owen Tudor and Catherine of Valois, King Henry's widow (and then her impeccable royal lineage through, seemingly, every European Royal house)

So...where do you see the actual truth ending, and the myths and untruths begin?
Kirkburton Bray Morton Charlesworth Kay Swallow Moorhouse Walker Mathewman
Penistone Micklethwaite
Liverpool Moore Durning
Formby Crookham Birchall Dobb Fleetwood
Childwall Fleetwood Knowles Ireland
Kendal Coulton Derome
Essex Cooper Robinson
Warrington Bleasdale Atherton
Suffolk Death
Lewes Spurgeon Horton
East Lothian Paxton Durkie
Edinburgh Blaikie Rollock Livingstone
Chirnside Paxton
Kilbarron Young Donohue Stapleton Meagher Fogarty Gleeson Meara Nevin
Kilsheelan Hennessy
Galway Nevin

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Cromwell Descendants...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 05:05 BST (UK) »
Two points I would like to make in relation to this question:

1. There is the argument that all research should be documented as much as possible. Each piece of evidence should be checked, and re-checked. Once you get back to certain point however, the documentary trail thins out considerably, to the point where you need to start looking at alternative sources.

2. Where do you draw the line with "purported", or "supposed"? If we believe all of the lineages and histories, then, for example, Edward III really was the son of Edward II (rumours and gossip of the day notwithstanding), and the two princes really were murdered by their uncle, Richard III. And how much faith should we put into documetary evidence? That is why we need to verify every fact with other sources.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline NNR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
I suppose that both points you make are pertinent to the question I'm asking. Obviously we lose almost all documentation pre-1550s (at best) once parish registers are gone, so we're left with (largely) wills alone - and those only for the rich. As you say, we're left with only a tiny handful of sources, and yet...lines such as the Cromwellian one are so well documented, so do we take that documentation and the consensus of history about who is descended from whom, or do we each intend to rewrite it given what documentation we can lay our hands on?

And yes, 'purported' or 'supposed' really does come into play absolutely anywhere on one's tree, doesn't it? We've only got branches spanning back generations on generations, but can we *really* be sure that even our grandparents are the children of both their 'supposed' parents for example? Obviously this problem gets exacerbated the further back one goes, which is why - I think - this is a personal issue for Cromwell descendants, and why I was wondering exactly where it is each individual person sees the cut off point for what can fairly be called either 'definite ancestry', 'probably ancestry', or the rather, erm, woolier stuff that takes us back to King Priam of Troy (and yes, I have seen that line!!)
Kirkburton Bray Morton Charlesworth Kay Swallow Moorhouse Walker Mathewman
Penistone Micklethwaite
Liverpool Moore Durning
Formby Crookham Birchall Dobb Fleetwood
Childwall Fleetwood Knowles Ireland
Kendal Coulton Derome
Essex Cooper Robinson
Warrington Bleasdale Atherton
Suffolk Death
Lewes Spurgeon Horton
East Lothian Paxton Durkie
Edinburgh Blaikie Rollock Livingstone
Chirnside Paxton
Kilbarron Young Donohue Stapleton Meagher Fogarty Gleeson Meara Nevin
Kilsheelan Hennessy
Galway Nevin

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 15 22:05 BST (UK) »
Speaking personally, and not as a Cromwell descendant (although it is looking increasingly as though I am linked to a family where a rather impressive looking website confidently asserts the ability to trace the line back to the 4th century BC) I work on the basis that whatever anyone anywhere asserts, I am going to try to replicate their research and assess the source material for myself.

Having assessed the source material for myself, if I am persuaded by the evidence I mark it up. If I think the evidence is suggestive, but not determinative, then I mark it up as a "tentative".

I have no problem in following a tentative line as far as it goes, with whatever sources assessed for what they are worth.

If I traced a family line into an Anglo-Saxon or Norse royal line, then I might hesitate to include Woden in my tree (after all ... claiming blue blood is one thing; divinity is quite another  :D ). However, the fact remains that the royal genealogies are there for all to see, and whilst plainly they become mythical at some point, they are nonetheless likely to be accurate for at least a couple of generations if not more.

Where you put the "tentative" marker up is, I guess, a matter of personal taste. But I certainly have no problem with including the "reputed" bloodlines, as long as it is clearly flagged that they ARE only reputed rather than confident attributions of ancestry; and the nature of the evidence on which they rest is clearly indicated.

At the end of the day, all genealogies are mere work-in-progress, and subject to change in light of further discoveries ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 17:19 BST (UK) »
  On my mother's side I descend from the Ayres/Cornwell extended family of Bottisham/Lode and other villages North of Cambridge. In many cases the surname Cornwell is interchangeable with Cornell; and I understand that Cornell was used as a  synonym for Cromwell during the late 17th century after the restoration to prevent victimisation of the Cromwell family from the Stuart dynasty.
Is there any evidence know to support this; or is it simply sppeculation?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 15 15:53 BST (UK) »
"Warts and all" can they be hereditary? If so, then it may be that I am some kind of descendant of Oliver Cromwell! My great aunt had a face full of warts, and though nothing like the same extent as hers, other relatives on my mothers side have some too.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)