Author Topic: help diana street newcastle birth & death  (Read 10038 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help diana street newcastle birth & death
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 14:16 BST (UK) »
Penitentiaries conjure up images of sin, punishment and penitence, but Magdalen Asylums aimed to offer sanctuary and forgiveness rather then reproach. The name derives from that most famous of female sinners Mary Magdalen. However, apparently, they remained punitive in practice and the inmates were encouraged to repent their past life, ask forgiveness for their sins and make a fresh start. However by the end of the nineteenth century the emphasis on punishment had generally shifted to one of forgiveness
On leaving the institution the young women were given an outfit which they had to pay for out of their meagre earnings, or else would have to pay for at a later date. In 1904 these outfits cost the Bristol Penitentiary about £5. Second-hand clothes were preferred not only because they were not thought good enough for new clothes but new clothes were considered to be the mark of  those who had been institutionalised in one form or another.

From Prostitution: Prevention and Reform in England 1860-1914 By Paula Bartley

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 14:30 BST (UK) »
That was interesting information Stan.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 April 15 13:17 BST (UK) »
i have just recieved the death cert of william graham death sep 1858 add ress 34 diana street , same place as i have mentioned above his wife elizabeth died july 1858 diana street same fever ? what was 34 diana street , was it a hospital or a house ? can anyone update this thread

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 April 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
In the Post Office Directory of Northumberland & Durham, 1858, 34 Diana Street is not listed so is apparently an ordinary house. Page 126 at http://mcaf.ee/grnbd

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 April 15 13:32 BST (UK) »
thank stanmapstone , then i wounder if i have the wrong family in the 1841 /15 census i thought diana street was a house because iv just looked again at the death and the informant e graham was also of same address

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 April 15 14:16 BST (UK) »
If they were at number 34, then you can rule out the institution we discussed. I think it was no. 22.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 April 15 14:22 BST (UK) »
yes thank you .. ..... but i still wounder why births and deaths over a 10yr span at diana street if i got correct family in 1841 /51 census  at bells court and dixon buildings

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 April 15 17:20 BST (UK) »
There's an 1851 map here

http://www.wellandantiquemaps.co.uk/newcastle-tyne-john-tallis-j-rapkin-c1851

if you click on the image to get a larger view Diana Street is in the top left-ish corner, near to the scale line, Dixon's Buildings (a row of tenement style dwellings?) looks like it is on Diana Street or just behind it.

So I assume if we were to write the address now it would be

Number x Dixons Buildings
Diana Street
Westgate
NUT
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 24 April 15 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you its a great map but to me dixon buildings looks as though it is behind diana street ...