Author Topic: Edward Guy Prettyman death  (Read 1573 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Guy Prettyman death
« on: Tuesday 14 April 15 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hello

Edward Guy Prettyman was born in Hartlepool in 1907 and died in 1941. He was a sergeant in the Royal Air Force and died in 1941 in the Netherlands.

How did he die?

thanks

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Guy Prettyman death
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 12:35 BST (UK) »
Information from CWGC shows he was an Observer in the Royal Air Force and died 14/03/1941 , so I would presume that he was shot down.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2646740/PRETTYMAN,%20EDWARD%20GUY

Here is his grave in case you don't have it

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=13827497  The fact they all died on the same date makes it look as if they were all brought down at the same time.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 12:48 BST (UK) »
thanks

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 23:23 BST (UK) »
http://www.worldnavalships.com/directory/squadronprofile.php?SquadronID=147

Wellington L7858: shot down by a night-fighter and crashed at Sevenum in Holland. All crew were killed.

Hope this helps a bit.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 23:42 BST (UK) »
thanks  :)

Offline pietsnellen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 17 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Sir, I live in Sevenum, a village in the south east of The Netherlands. The Wellington MK 1c left RAF Mildenhall at 1940LT on a bombing mission to Gelsenkirchen. The aircraft was shot down by Hauptmann Streib of 1/NJG 1 Venlo here on March 14th 1941 at 10.34 pm. I have a copy of the police report of the crash. See Attachment.
All six crew members died in the crash. They were buried on 17 March 1941 in Venlo. In 1947 they were reburried At Jonkerbos War Cemetery in Nijmegen.
101 Aircraft bombed the oil refineries in Gelsenkirchen that night . Nine persons were killed. One Wellington failed to return, it crashed in Sevenum. I will try to find more info for you.