Author Topic: Williams Family of Hay-on-Wye.  (Read 6301 times)

Offline Deux Chevaux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Williams Family of Hay-on-Wye.
« on: Tuesday 14 April 15 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm looking for information regarding the Williams family of Hay. My grandfather was Augustus Sidney 'knobby' Williams. He owned the 'Bon Marche' iron mongers & radio dealer shop on the Butter Market. His brother was Hay Post Master for many years. Their grandfather arrived in Hay around the 1860s/1870s from Newent, in Gloucestershire. I've been unable to obtain any information from parish records at Gloucestershire records office. The family were non-conformists and the birth records were probably kept by the (Baptist?) church in Newent. Can anybody help? Thanks.  :)
Barwick: Wootton Courtenay, Somerset
             Maesteg, Glamorgan
Rawle: Wootton Courtenay, Somerset
Williams: Hay-on-Wye, Breconshire/Powys, Wales
Pegg: Corpusty/Saxthorp, Norfolk
Stace: Epping, Essex
Singleton: Chillington, Somerset

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams Family of Hay-on-Wye.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 16:20 BST (UK) »
I found Sidney Augustus Williams military papers, address West View, Church Street, Hay, Occupation Ironmonger and Cycle fitter. Father William Williams at the same address. Joined up 16/10/1916 age 18 years 1 month at Osterley Park to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment MT Learner. Reg No 207632. Wounded in action 15/6/1918.
It seems he changed his first and second names around for some reason when he went into the military, as on his death index he is named as Augustus Sidney born 14/7/1898 died 12/1988 Brecknock age 90 years.

I hope this helps,

Kind Regards

Ellen

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 17:53 BST (UK) »
You need to put more information such as names, DOB and where born to help trace back to the family in Newent.
I found your  Paternal Great Grandfather William Sidney Williams on the 1911 Census living at Prudential House, Bear Street, Hay. He was born 1875 Hay.
On the 1871 Census William Sidney's father Sidney is living at 11 Bull Ring, Hay. He was born 1848 Newent, Gloucestershire. He married Mary Ann Davies 1870 Hay.
That is as far back as I can get but hope this may help someone else get further back and help you with your search.

Offline Deux Chevaux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ellen, that's interesting. He got shot in the lower leg and I remember the bullet being brought out and displayed with much pride. He always said he didn't like the name Augustus, so called himself Sid. Everybody in Hay knew him as Knobby Williams. God knows why. LOL
             Maesteg, Glamorgan

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 April 15 17:37 BST (UK) »
Did Sid wear a bowler hat by any chance? I had an Uncle Knobby (James) and when I asked why everyone called him that I was told it was because he wore a bowler, which was known as a Knobby.

I can't remember a shop called Bon Marche in Hay, is it still there? I lived in Bronllys in the early 1980's so often shopped there, usually for books. I remember Richard Booth (King of Hay) putting on a wonderful firework display to the 1812 Overture, it made the ground shake. I have such happy  memories of living in the area what a lovely town Hay was. I have been promising myself to return one day to see how much it has changed, if at all.

Offline Deux Chevaux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 April 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
The shop was on the end of the Butter Market and was condemned and pulled down in around 1950. My grandfather relocated his shop across the road next door to Mayall's jewellers. It's now an estate agent. The house directly behind the estate agent was my grandparent's house. I have no idea why he was called Knobby, he certainly never wore a hat when I was young. I can't even ask my mother now, as she passed away last month.  :(
             Maesteg, Glamorgan

Offline Deux Chevaux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 April 15 18:03 BST (UK) »
Second image on this website page link....... http://www.oldhay.co.uk/shops.html

Forth line down, third photo across, shows my grandfather's brother, Cyril Baden Williams, Hay Post Master.
             Maesteg, Glamorgan

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 April 15 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link, I know where the shop was now. I really must pay a visit soon.

Offline Baden4747

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 February 18 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi come across this, I am the granddaughter of Cyril Baden Williams former post master of Hay on Wye and brother of "Knobby" Williams.  I remember my grandfather taking me to visit Uncle Knobby and his wife in the 70's.