Author Topic: Turbott - Turbett - Turbitt in Bredon area  (Read 1876 times)

Offline garthj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Turbott - Turbett - Turbitt in Bredon area
« on: Wednesday 15 April 15 06:25 BST (UK) »
I am interested to trace ancestors who may be descended from Thorbet (Turbertus) who is mentioned in the Domesday Book as a Thane of Earl Harold holding land at Ashton (under hill) before 1066.

I believe it is possible a Turbett went to Ireland with the Normans in the 12th century.
My family name is Turbott, is spelled that way since my great grandparents came to New Zealand from Cormore townland, Clogher parish, County Tyrone in the 1860s. Prior to that, it was Turbitt or Turbett, depending on the particular record. Irish records before that time are fragmented but there are records of Turbitt/Turbett/Turbotts in the Clogher parish back at least as far as 1738. The name is not found in the muster rolls of 1630, after plantation of the area, and I am guessing therefore that Turbitts were local Irish rather than recent immigrants.
There is record of the name in County Westmeath in 1649 where a John Turbett held land in the parish of Castletowne. There also is a townland in Westmeath called Turbotstown - so far as I can establish, this name goes back at least until the time of Henry 8th and probably earlier.

What is the possible link to Worcestershire? My reading suggests the Turbott name comes from Thorbert, is a combination of of Norse and Old German and probably came to England around the time of the Normans and to Ireland a century later. The Norman invasions of Ireland, from 1169,
were mounted largely from the Welsh "marches" and it it occurred to me that descendants of the displaced thane Thorbert, mentioned in the Domesday book as having held land at Ashton under hill, may have been amongst them.
I would be grateful for comments on this line of reasoning and for any further information.